Norwich City transfer rumours: Greek international a summer target for promotion hopefuls
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The agent of Greek international midfielder Kostas Fortounis is reportedly in talks with Norwich City about a possible summer switch.
The Olympiacos captain, an attacking midfielder, has 15 goals and 15 assists to his name from 39 games in all competitions and has reportedly been scouted by City, Roma, Fenerbahce, Toulouse and Lyon recently.
Greek sports website SDNA claim the 26-year-old’s agent, Paul Koutsoliakos, is due to travel to England for talks with an English club – which they believe to be Premier League hopefuls Norwich.
Fortounis has won the title three times with Olympiacos, who look set to miss out on the title for the second consecutive season, with PAOK Salonika currently 10 points clear.
After playing a key role in knocking Premier League side Burnley out of Europa League qualification back in August, scoring two and setting up two in a 4-2 aggregate success, Olympiacos qualified from their group but were beaten by Dynamo Kiev in the first knockout stage.
You may also want to watch:
Fortounis has 41 caps for Greece, scoring six goals, but will enter the final 12 months of his contract this summer so could be available for a lower fee.
While the creative force could well be the calibre of player the Canaries are looking for, if they can seal promotion from the Championship, interest from Roma and Fenerbahce would make a deal seem unlikely.
- 1 City transfer rumours: West Ham show interest in £30m rated Aarons
- 2 No West Ham contact for Aarons; Drmic wage hike unlikely
- 3 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 4 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 5 Former City boss to leave post at the end of the season
- 6 City hot-shot out to prove point in Premier League, claims ex-Canary
- 7 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 8 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 9 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 10 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
However, if the reports of the player and his agent being keen on a move this summer prove accurate, some Premier League funds may allow City to compete – although it’s clear they won’t be able to break the bank if they do go up.
LIKELIHOOD: One to keep an eye on, could be a Premier League asset if promotion is sealed, but likely to expect decent wages.
• YOUTH TARGET
Elsewhere, young Shrewsbury Town left-back Rhys Davies has caught the attention of the Canaries, according to the Shropshire Star.
That’s despite the League One club apparently deciding not to offer a professional deal to the 17-year-old as he approaches the conclusion of his two-year scholarship.
Davies is said to have been on trial at Southampton, with Bournemouth another Premier League club interested, as well as Norwich.
The youngster has played in the second tier of non-league this season, for Nuneaton and Chippenham, and made 22 senior appearances.
It’s likely if he did end up with City, Bournemouth or Southampton that he would be joining an U23 squad and signing a professional deal.
LIKELIHOOD: Could be one for the future but Saints appear to be in the driving seat.