Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries among clubs keen on Chelsea midfielder
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Norwich City are reportedly among the clubs interested in Chelsea prospect Conor Gallagher, if the goal-scoring midfielder decides to bring an early end to his successful loan with Charlton this month.
The England Under-21 international has scored six goals and assisted a further three during 25 Championship appearances for the Addicks so far this season.
Football London report that the youngster has settled in well at Charlton but that Norwich, Burnley, Rangers, West Brom, Millwall and Swansea are all keen, if he were to cut his season-long loan short during January. Charlton currently sit 19th in the table and five points clear of the relegation zone.
Gallagher was a pivotal part of the Chelsea U19 team which were runners-up in the Uefa Youth League last season, being named as an unused substitute by the first team for the first time during the Europa League final defeat to Arsenal.
Prior to that the 19-year-old midfielder was part of the England squad which won the U17 World Cup in 2017 and the U18 Premier League South and FA Youth Cup doubles in 2017 and 2018.
You may also want to watch:
The report adds that Chelsea will assess his progress for their interests ahead of next season and that Charlton are hopeful of keeping the loanee for the remainder of the campaign.
VERDICT: Would seem unlikely that City would be adding a young loanee to their central midfield mix amid a battle for Premier League survival.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 2 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 3 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 4 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 5 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
- 6 Bullish Robins' boss pledges to mix it with Canaries
- 7 Cherries lose more ground on Canaries in promotion race
- 8 'Our own Heracles at left-back' - City fans delighted as Giannoulis completes loan move
- 9 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 10 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
Gallagher has mostly featured as a deep-lying midfielder so far in his career and has been playing alongside Canaries trio Max Aarons, Ben Godfrey and Todd Cantwell with the England U21s so far this season, winning four caps.
He has been with Chelsea since he was eight years old, winning the Academy Player of the Season award last year and playing for the first team during pre-season, signing a new contract until at least 2022 as he went out on loan in August.
Gallagher's name has regularly featured in the national media recently, suggesting his representatives don't want him anywhere near a Championship relegation scrap, having come through the England and Chelsea youth system with Mason Mount.
But unless Norwich see him as being capable of playing in a more attacking midfield role, he seems an unlikely signing this January.