Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries among clubs keen on Chelsea midfielder
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Norwich City are reportedly among the clubs interested in Chelsea prospect Conor Gallagher, if the goal-scoring midfielder decides to bring an early end to his successful loan with Charlton this month.
The England Under-21 international has scored six goals and assisted a further three during 25 Championship appearances for the Addicks so far this season.
Football London report that the youngster has settled in well at Charlton but that Norwich, Burnley, Rangers, West Brom, Millwall and Swansea are all keen, if he were to cut his season-long loan short during January. Charlton currently sit 19th in the table and five points clear of the relegation zone.
Gallagher was a pivotal part of the Chelsea U19 team which were runners-up in the Uefa Youth League last season, being named as an unused substitute by the first team for the first time during the Europa League final defeat to Arsenal.
Prior to that the 19-year-old midfielder was part of the England squad which won the U17 World Cup in 2017 and the U18 Premier League South and FA Youth Cup doubles in 2017 and 2018.
You may also want to watch:
The report adds that Chelsea will assess his progress for their interests ahead of next season and that Charlton are hopeful of keeping the loanee for the remainder of the campaign.
VERDICT: Would seem unlikely that City would be adding a young loanee to their central midfield mix amid a battle for Premier League survival.
- 1 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 2 City transfer rumours: West Ham show interest in £30m rated Aarons
- 3 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 4 No West Ham contact for Aarons; Drmic wage hike unlikely
- 5 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 6 Former City boss to leave post at the end of the season
- 7 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 8 'We want to top this season off properly' - Krul's message to fans
- 9 City hot-shot out to prove point in Premier League, claims ex-Canary
- 10 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
Gallagher has mostly featured as a deep-lying midfielder so far in his career and has been playing alongside Canaries trio Max Aarons, Ben Godfrey and Todd Cantwell with the England U21s so far this season, winning four caps.
He has been with Chelsea since he was eight years old, winning the Academy Player of the Season award last year and playing for the first team during pre-season, signing a new contract until at least 2022 as he went out on loan in August.
Gallagher's name has regularly featured in the national media recently, suggesting his representatives don't want him anywhere near a Championship relegation scrap, having come through the England and Chelsea youth system with Mason Mount.
But unless Norwich see him as being capable of playing in a more attacking midfield role, he seems an unlikely signing this January.