POLL RESULT: Difficult defensive decision for Farke ahead of Reds clash
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The defensive conundrum which Norwich City boss Daniel Farke must solve ahead of the visit of leaders Liverpool has been emphasised by a split result in our latest poll.
We asked Canaries fans who should start in central defence with Ben Godfrey returning from his suspension, providing Farke some rare defensive options against Jurgen Klopp's superb champions-in-waiting.
With over 1,000 votes cast - at the time of writing, 9pm on Tuesday evening - in our online poll there was a split decision, with 29pc opting to keep captain Grant Hanley alongside Christoph Zimmermann and another 29pc wanting to see Godfrey reclaim his starting role alongside Zimmermann.
Not far behind however was the option to field all three players in a fresh formation against a quite formidable opponent for a team sitting bottom of the table, with 26pc of the votes.
The remaining 16pc backed Godfrey to return alongside Hanley, in light of a goal during the FA Cup win at Burnley and a clean sheet at Newcastle for the Scotland international recently.
Since returning from three months out after groin and hernia surgeries Hanley has been moving more freely and has started finding form and fitness.
You may also want to watch:
Yet it was Godfrey who had the backing of Farke prior to last month's crunch home clash with survival rivals Bournemouth, going straight back into the starting XI despite a month out with a knee injury - only to pick up a straight red card.
Prior to that poorly-timed tackle on Cherries striker Callum Wilson the England U21 international had reminded City fans of his passing influence and understanding alongside Zimmermann during that deserved 1-0 win.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 5 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 6 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 7 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 8 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 9 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
However, that three-game ban saw Hanley restored and a narrow 2-1 defeat at Tottenham was followed by just a fourth clean sheet of the season during that 0-0 draw at Newcastle prior to the current winter break.
The split result shows Farke has a tough decision to make ahead of a daunting challenge against the unbeaten Reds, who have won 24 of their 25 matches and who are both world and European champions.
- The poll remains open and you can cast your vote above