Ex-Norwich City star signs new Premier League deal
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Former Norwich City star James Maddison has ended speculation about his future by signing a new four-year deal at Leicester.
The 23-year-old England international, who joined from Norwich two years ago for a fee worth up to £24m, had been heavily linked with Manchester United, but will now remain at the King Power Stadium until at least 2024.
“I’m so happy to sign a new contract for this football club,” Maddison told Leicester’s website.
“It’s an incredibly exciting time to be a Leicester City player with so many positive things happening on and off the pitch and I’m delighted to be part of that.”
Leicester finished fifth in the Premier League under Brendan Rodgers last season to qualify for the 2020/21 Europa League.
You may also want to watch:
Maddison said: “What we’ve achieved as a club this season is a huge step forward for us and I know there’s so much more to come from this team.
“I’ve enjoyed every moment since joining Leicester City.
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 3 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 4 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 6 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 7 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 "He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed with Norwich
- 10 Hugill stepped up when Norwich City needed him with determined display at Cardiff
“The supporters have been incredible to me and we have a fantastic set of players in that dressing room who are determined to show what we’re capable of doing together in both Europe and the Premier League next season.”
Coventry-born midfielder Maddison began his career with the Sky Blues as an academy graduate before moving to Norwich in January 2016.
He joined Leicester in June 2018 and has since scored 16 goals in 76 appearances for the Foxes.
Maddison made his England debut in a 7-0 victory against Montenegro in a Euro 2020 qualifier last November.
Leicester had earlier announced that midfielder Nampalys Mendy had signed a two-year contract extension to take him through to the end of the 2021/22 season.
The 28-year-old Frenchman had signed a short-term agreement to allow him to complete last season’s coronavirus-hit campaign.
Rodgers told LCFC.com: “I’ve enjoyed working with Papy since I arrived at Leicester City and the more I’ve seen of him, the more impressed I’ve been, so I’m delighted he’s extended his deal with the club as he has an important role to play.”