EFL Trophy updates: Newport County 0 Norwich City U21s 5
- Credit: Focus Images/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City’s youngsters returned to EFL Trophy action this evening, and shocked League Two leaders Newport County with a brilliant 5-0 victory.
While the Canaries usually compete as an under-23 squad in Premier League Two, it is officially an U21 squad that is entered into the Trophy, although it is the same group of players.
Three over-age outfield players and a goalkeeper are permitted but none were used as David Wright’s prospects won 3-2 away to the first team of League One side Plymouth last month, when Argyle fielded a reasonably young team.
City sit top of Division Two in PL2 after winning three of their opening four league games, with strikers Tyrese Omotoye and Tom Dickson-Peters on target in a 2-0 win at Fulham on Friday.
Victory tonight would leave Norwich on the verge of qualification to the knockout stages, with Plymouth at Cheltenham tonight as well, in a later 7.45pm kick-off.
You may also want to watch:
South Wales side Newport lose their Trophy opener 1-0 at home to Cheltenham and have had a busy start to the campaign, winning three and drawing one of their league games.
They also made it to the fourth round of the League Cup, knocking out Championship clubs Swansea and Watford before losing to Premier League side Newcastle last week, in a penalty shoot-out after a 1-1 home draw.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 2 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 3 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 4 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 5 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 6 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 7 Bullish Robins' boss pledges to mix it with Canaries
- 8 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 9 'Our own Heracles at left-back' - City fans delighted as Giannoulis completes loan move
- 10 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
- Follow updates from the game above