News from Beccles and Bungay area

ST BENETS WASPS U9C travelled to Barnards Meadow to take on a much-improved Waveney team.

Although Wasps totally dominated the game from the first whistle and created over ten good chances on goal poor finishing and bad luck meant they could not manage to score a goal. Waveney were reduced to breakaways as Wasps continued to have the ball but wayward passing and wrong decision-making led to a 0-0 half-time score.

Ten minutes into the second half Wasps finally got their passing game going after good work from Callum who found Myles P whose shot finally went in off a post. Ryan D then made it two a minute later with a good finish again after good work from Callum and Myles P. As Wasps continued to create chance after chance, Ryan N met a Ryan D corner with a great header which came back off a post before he smashed in the rebound. Alfie and Ethan kept it solid at the back with Charlie N, Harrison and Leo trying hard on a dry bumpy pitch. Despite creating well over 20 good chances in the game, that was the end of the scoring. Final score: Waveney C 0, Wasps U9C 3.

BUNGAY TOWN U15 won 4-1 against St Benets Wasps in a keenly-contested local derby. Wasps started brightly and it needed a fine save by Elliot to keep scores level. Eventually, Bungay went ahead when Jamie set up Sam to lob the first. Ollie added another from the edge of the box before Matt, for Wasps, punished hesitancy in the Bungay defence to make it 2-1. Callum’s header was ruled not to have crossed the line, before Sam set Rhys up for the third. Kyle, up for a corner, scrambled another. The match was played in an excellent spirit, and the result keeps Bungay’s promotion hopes alive.

ST BENETS WASPS U9B travelled to Walmer Road to play Kirkley and Pakefield A. Both teams wanted to win this match to hold their place in the league. The first half saw Wasps have a lot of the ball with neat passing from Lewis, Kurtis and Dylan. Wasps took the lead when Dylan ran on to Kurtis’ cracking pass and finished well. The defenders Zak, Tariq, Ewan and goalkeeper Ryan kept tight at the back to keep Kirkley and Pakefield out. Midfielders Aiden, man-of-the- match Tommo and Lewis worked hard to create chances. Wasps were unlucky to concede a goal in the middle of the second half. Final score: Wasps 1, Kirkley and Pakefield 1.

ST BENETS WASPS U9A played at home to Sole Bay and started sluggishly and soon found themselves two goals down. Wasps then realised that playing football in the way they normally do ends in rewards and Joe finished well from a corner. Good passing from Harvey, Tom and Will ended with Joe scoring his second in fine fashion, giving the keeper no chance, to level the score. Wasps were now dominant and a great solo run from Will ended with a cross for Tom to give Wasps a 3-2 half-time lead. Browny, Ryan and Zach contained their visitors well and Owen had a good chance saved which would have given Wasps a bigger cushion. Wasps then seemed to switch off and gifted the visitors two more goals, giving them a mountain to climb which turned out to be too much. Final score: Wasps 3, Sole Bay 4.

ST BENETS WASPS U7 were again on their travels this week, playing Hemsby A – under the guidance of manager Ellis. This game was always going to be tough due to quality opponents. And so it proved to be – after only a few minutes St Benets found themselves three down. Goalie Callum was having to work hard as his defenders Nathan and Ollie E were given the run around by Hemsby’s forwards. Ollie M was also unfortunate in scoring a fine own goal which, at half-time saw them go off behind. After the restart with Nick now up front with Toby alongside him and Ollie E now in goal, St Benets started brightly. Nathan hit one just over and Ollie M came close. However, Hemsby soon took control again, scoring freely, adding three more. Despite this, Ollie M, Ollie E and Nathan bagged one each – a comeback of sorts but too late as the final whistle saw Hemsby victorious.

Most Read

HALESWORTH U9: Two evenly-matched sides went head to head as Halesworth U9 played Bohemians. The away side got off to a perfect start with a solo goal in the first 30 seconds and then doubled their lead soon after. The hosts finally got their game together and scored from the penalty spot after a good move down the right. Bohemians extended their lead with a powerful left-foot shot but Halesworth reacted with character and purpose scoring twice before half-time, one from the spot and the other a well-taken goal from Braidon Nurse. The second half was played at a furious pace with chances at both ends but stout defending from Harry Block and good goalkeeping from James Mitchell kept Bohemians out and allowed the home strikers to go for goal. Their persistence paid off with two goals from Cameron Ward and Hayden LIng giving them a comfortable cushion. All the team played their part in a hard-working 5-3 victory.