‘I love watching that dude play’ – NFL superstar reveals he’s a big fan of Canaries star
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
American football superstar JJ Watt has revealed that a Norwich City star is his current favourite Premier League player.
The Houston Texans defensive end is in London ahead of a National Football League (NFL) game against Jacksonville Jaguars at Wembley on Sunday.
Watt, 30, has been named NFL Defensive Player of the Year on three occasions during his career but is currently injured so has been on media duties ahead of the game - and revealed his love for the Premier League and English football in general.
"Right now, I love watching Pukki, I love watching that dude play," Watt said, when asked who his current favourite player was. "He's so much fun, he just scores goals."
Pukki is currently joint fourth in the Premier League goal-scoring charts, with six goals, tied with Tottenham and England star Harry Kane after four games.
You may also want to watch:
The Finland international's prolific form has stretched to 46 goals in 70 games for club and country, leaving his nation on the verge of qualification for Euro 2020.
Speaking to BBC Sport, Watt explained: "I don't know exactly how I got into it, once it started to be really prominent on TV here in American then I started really watching it every Saturday because it was the first thing on in the morning.
- 1 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 2 City midfielder returns to Norfolk after loan spell terminated
- 3 Bushiri completes Eupen loan
- 4 Placheta must kick on at City
- 5 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 6 Giannoulis deal proof City can navigate difficult transfer market
- 7 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 8 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 9 Giannoulis in contention for Boro clash - as City secure work permit
- 10 'That's my dream' - Giannoulis hopes his style will boost City's promotion hopes
"Then I really got into it when I went and visited Stamford Bridge and I got to see Chelsea play, got to see them lift the cup, to see Drogba's last game as a blue.
"So then I really started to get into it then and I started researching the history, the tradition, all the clubs, the rivalries, the derbies, everything and I just fell in love with it.
"I truly love watching it, every single weekend. I'll watch Newcasle play Sheffield United, it doesn't matter to me, I'll watch top of the table versus bottom of the table.
"I just watched the Leeds United documentary, that was cool and it's all about the Championship. I watched Sunderland Till i Die and I loved it.
"And obviously my fiancée is a professional soccer player (US international Kealia Ohai, of Houston Dash) so we love watching it together."