Nine Canaries players potentially in action on final day of international break
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The busy international break concludes today, with as many as nine Norwich City players potentially in action.
Two of those are academy players and all but one is in Uefa European Under-21 Championship qualification action, with four Canaries players in the England Under-21 squad.
As well as being in the Young Lions squad, all of Max Aarons, Todd Cantwell, Ben Godfrey and Tottenham loanee Oliver Skipp started as Aidy Boothroyd’s U21 squad won 6-0 in Kosovo on Friday night.
That comfortable win has kept England top of Group Three and three points clear of tonight’s opponents Austria with five games still to play, ahead of the match in Ried im Innkreis (7.30pm UK time).
The finals, in Hungary and Slovenia, were postponed this year so have been rearranged for 2021. The group stages will be during the March international break and the knockout stages during late May and early June.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere in U21 qualifying, Rocky Bushiri is with Belgium ahead of a clash of the top two in Group Nine, hosting Germany in Leuven (3pm). The centre-back has been a regular starter for loan club Mechelen in the Belgian top flight so far this season.
Canaries academy keeper Archie Mair is with Scotland U21s ahead of a Group Four qualifier in Lithuania (4.30pm). Mair is set to spend the season on loan in the National League with King’s Lynn Town and is in the U21 squad for the first time.
- 1 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 2 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 3 Dowell pledge from City boss
- 4 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 5 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League
- 6 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
- 7 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 8 Local lad tag weighs heavy on Cantwell's shoulders
- 9 Farke's fledglings: How City chief moulded the next generation for Canaries
- 10 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
Przemyslaw Placheta is with Poland U21s as they host Group Five leaders Russia in Lodz (5pm). The winger played the opening 68 minutes of a 6-0 win in Estonia on Friday, claiming two assists, leaving them four points adrift of the Russians.
Summer signing Jacob Sorensen is set for action in Ballymena as Denmark U21s are in Northern Ireland (5pm). The midfielder was an unused substitute as the Group Eight leaders were held to a 1-1 home draw by Ukraine on Friday.
While in senior action, Danel Sinani is set for Uefa Nations League duty with Luxembourg as they host Montenegro in Group C1. The City forward came on for the final 31 minutes of a 2-1 win in Azerbaijan on Saturday.