No pre-season surprises for new Norwich City midfield man Mario Vrancic
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
As Norwich City’s squad get used to a rigorous pre-season under their German head coach, it’s all the norm for one summer signing.
Bosnian international Mario Vrancic has impressed and scored in both of his friendly outings since completing a £650,000 summer move from relegated Bundesliga side Darmstadt – the latest coming in Saturday’s 5-1 win at non-league neighbours Lowestoft Town.
“I know this kind of pre-season from Germany, so it’s quite normal for me – I can say that but of course, we have worked really hard and we are still working hard, and it will all help us for the long season definitely,” smiled the likeable midfielder, as new head coach Daniel Farke and his compatriot coaches get to work on making their group as fit as possible ahead of the new Championship season.
“Some of the guys asked me if this was normal in Germany, and I said yes. For sure it’s normal and we will benefit from it. You need this pre-season to prepare you for the new season.”
The 28-year-old has his own adapting to do too, as he prepares for a 46-game campaign in English football’s second tier.
You may also want to watch:
“I know for sure the Championship is so physical,” he added. “I have six weeks with the team to work on it and hopefully we will have a good start to the season to help us reach our goals.
“When I joined up with the squad, I thought they were really good players. For sure, the Championship is a very good league with very good players, so I am happy to learn from those players – and also I’m happy to play together with these players. I hope I can learn from here.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Huge goals for Hugill as City create daylight at the top
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-0 Championship cruise against Bristol City
- 3 Farke maps out his risk averse strategy on Pukki and Krul
- 4 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
- 5 Cherries lose more ground on Canaries in promotion race
- 6 Hot Hugill caps a season's best display for City boss
- 7 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 8 STARTING XIs: Krul returns for Canaries against Bristol City
- 9 Hugill brace ensures superb City beat Bristol
- 10 Farke is not looking over his shoulder at City
“I had some very good conversations with the staff during the summer, the team and the coach, and I decided very quickly to move and sign for Norwich City.
“For me, I can say it was an easy decision because I feel very good for the month since I joined.
“So I’m really happy to move and to sign for Norwich, and now I hope we have a good season.
“I feel very good. The city is cool, the team is very good and I’m very happy to be here.”
Vrancic remains City’s most expensive recruit during the current window, as one of five new signings under sporting director Stuart Webber and head coach Daniel Farke.