No worries over Wycombe pitch
Michael Bailey Conditions may be set to get colder - but Norwich City fans should be spared a second wasted trip in the space of five days this weekend.The Canaries' Bank Holiday League One game at Walsall on Monday was postponed at an hour's notice due to parts of the Bescot Stadium pitch being frozen.
Conditions may be set to get colder - but Norwich City fans should be spared a second wasted trip in the space of five days this weekend.
The Canaries' Bank Holiday League One game at Walsall on Monday was postponed at an hour's notice due to parts of the Bescot Stadium pitch being frozen.
With heavy snow forecast to fall this week and temperatures expected to drop to minus-four degrees on Friday night, a similar fate could have awaited City for their trip to Wycombe on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
However - unlike Walsall - Adams Park has undersoil heating, which should prevent any issues with the pitch being frozen.
Wanderers used the pitch heating for four days to ensure Oldham's visit to Buckinghamshire was not wasted earlier this month - and similar preparation will go into making sure Saturday's game goes ahead. The only threat is likely to come from access to the stadium and its facilities - should snow or a heavy frost make things dangerous. But Chairboys officials are confident they will be able to ensure the game takes place.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 2 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 3 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 4 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 5 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 6 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 7 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 8 Bullish Robins' boss pledges to mix it with Canaries
- 9 City keeper issues injury update
- 10 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
That will be welcome news for Wycombe boss Gary Waddock, who watched his side capitulate to a 5-2 home defeat to Brighton on Monday in their relegation six-pointer.
The result followed a 4-0 Boxing Day drubbing at Yeovil and Waddock said of his side's performance: “I can't defend that. I take the result because it's my job and my responsibility but the players have to take responsibility for their performances and actions. Today was unacceptable.
“I spoke to the players before the game and asked them to prove certain things to me - now I've got all the answers I need. Decisions will be made and they might upset one or two, but I've been upset by a number of games so far.”
The January transfer window opens on Friday and it may be Waddock will have some new faces when the Canaries come to town for a game he hopes will see the end of the Chairboys' friendlier side.
“I know what I need, I know what needs to be done, and it will be done, make no mistake about it,” said Waddock. “It will be done the way that me and Martin (assistant manager Martin Kuhl) want, because we've got a job to do and it will be done.
“It's all well and good the transfer window opening, but you've got to attract people in and get players out. It's easier said than done. The players have performed at this level and have picked up results at this level, but not consistently enough.
“In the situation we're in, we need leaders, characters, and people who will fight and scrap. We're too nice; we need to be nasty, and I've got to make some decisions which might upset a few, but that's my job.”
Wycombe are currently 23rd in the League One table, with just three home wins and 18 points to their name so far this season.
They were Paul Lambert's first opponents after taking charge at City in August, when Carrow Road witnessed a 5-2 win, and have just one point from their last four matches.