Norfolk 1, Hampshire 2
FA Youth County Cup: Norfolk were the dominant side for a spell without creating any clear- cut chances, but the game burst into life in the 32nd minute when a Hampshire free-kick 25 yards out was blocked by the onrushing Fitzgerald well outside the area but the referee decided to point to the penalty shot and book Fitzgerald for his protests.
Norfolk were the dominant side for a spell without creating any clear- cut chances.
but the game burst into life in the 32nd minute when a Hampshire free-kick 25 yards out was blocked by the onrushing Fitzgerald well outside the area but the referee decided to point to the penalty shot and book Fitzgerald for his protests.
Norris then brilliantly saved Jones' penalty but was sent off for his over exuberant celebration.
Hall was then taken off for Norfolk so that sub goalkeeper Street could replace Norris.
You may also want to watch:
The 10 men of Norfolk continued to press forward and on 37 minutes Godbold was barged over in the visitors' area and the referee again pointed to the spot.
Winter made no mistake to put the home side ahead. Norfolk finished the half on top.
- 1 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 2 PROMOTION LIVE: Cherries and red card ruin City's party
- 3 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 4 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 6 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 7 'Mission Accomplished' - Norwich City fans celebrate promotion
- 8 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 9 Operation Bounce Back: The story of City's promotion success
- 10 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
t Half-time: Norfolk 1, Hampshire 0
The second half started with a spell of lengthy treatment for the Hampshire keeper but then on 53 minutes Carrier failed to trouble the keeper with a free-kick from the edge of the box.
A superb flowing move from the home side saw Fitzgerald head a glorious opportunity wide.
On 66 minutes Hampshire levelled the scores with their first attempt on goal in the second half when substitute GEARY fired home from the edge of the box.
Norfolk responded well when brilliant work by Carrier set up a chance for Godbold whose shot was well saved by Lisher who then saved again from Winter.
The 10 men from Norfolk were still the better side and piled on the pressure. Carrier had a volley deflected for a corner which was headed just over by Yates.
As the game seemed to be set for extra time disaster struck the home side when Hampshire substitute DREW scored from a rebound after Street had saved brilliantly.
It was only the visitors' second attempt on goal in the half which gave them a victory that was very harsh for the home side.
t Result: Norfolk 1, Hampshire 2
t Norfolk: S Norris, S Watts, M Sommerfield, P Yates, M Godbold, L Osborn, L Winter, J Brien, J Carrier, A Fitzgerald, C Hall. Subs: H Clements, A Street, D Cusack, N Watson, P Gainsford.
t Ref: Robert Mackay (Biggleswade).