Can you guess these former World Cup posters?
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
It’s not the first thing that comes to mind when somebody mentions the World Cup, but every tournament has a poster - how many can you remember?
The Russia 2018 poster, designed by Russian artist Igor Gurovich, features legendary Russian goalkeeper Lev Yashin saving a ball showing Russia from space, reflecting the country’s achievements in space exploration.
At the poster’s launch, Fifa Secretary General Fatma Samoura said: “The official poster of the 2018 Fifa World Cup is a true reflection of Russia’s artistic and football heritage.
“We are very proud of this beautiful landmark asset that portrays such an important icon and celebrates the coming tournament on Russian soil.”
Igor Gurovich explained: “The style of Soviet post-constructivist posters from the 1920s and 1930s, and their unique visual language, became one of the most important and revered elements of Russian culture.
You may also want to watch:
“This language is unquestionably thought of as Russian throughout the world,” he continued. “Therefore, in my work on the poster, I really wanted to make this language modern and relevant once again.”
Chairman of the Russia 2018 Local Organising Committee Vitaly Mutko added: “It was very important for us to portray Russia as the host country in the official poster.
- 1 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 2 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 4 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 5 'I rate him. He's a fantastic player' - Farke open to Skipp return
- 6 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 7 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 8 City players greeted by special messages from fan groups
- 9 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 10 MY TOP FIVE: The crucial moments of City's promotion success
“That’s why we chose Lev Yashin, a symbol of Russian football, as the main figure. I’m sure that the poster will become one of the most memorable symbols of the 2018 Fifa World Cup Russia and that fans and participants alike will approve of it.”