Can you guess these former World Cup posters?
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
It’s not the first thing that comes to mind when somebody mentions the World Cup, but every tournament has a poster - how many can you remember?
The Russia 2018 poster, designed by Russian artist Igor Gurovich, features legendary Russian goalkeeper Lev Yashin saving a ball showing Russia from space, reflecting the country’s achievements in space exploration.
At the poster’s launch, Fifa Secretary General Fatma Samoura said: “The official poster of the 2018 Fifa World Cup is a true reflection of Russia’s artistic and football heritage.
“We are very proud of this beautiful landmark asset that portrays such an important icon and celebrates the coming tournament on Russian soil.”
Igor Gurovich explained: “The style of Soviet post-constructivist posters from the 1920s and 1930s, and their unique visual language, became one of the most important and revered elements of Russian culture.
You may also want to watch:
“This language is unquestionably thought of as Russian throughout the world,” he continued. “Therefore, in my work on the poster, I really wanted to make this language modern and relevant once again.”
Chairman of the Russia 2018 Local Organising Committee Vitaly Mutko added: “It was very important for us to portray Russia as the host country in the official poster.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 2 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 3 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 4 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 5 'Three Lungs' back in business
- 6 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 7 Solskjaer education and goalkeeping genetics pave way for City target Nyland
- 8 Drmic's Euro mission to seal City exit
- 9 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 10 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
“That’s why we chose Lev Yashin, a symbol of Russian football, as the main figure. I’m sure that the poster will become one of the most memorable symbols of the 2018 Fifa World Cup Russia and that fans and participants alike will approve of it.”