North Norfolk club notes

NORTH WALSHAM ANGELS U13 visited Taverham Girls for their first league match of the season and suffered a crushing 5-1 defeat. The whole team played below par.

NORTH WALSHAM ANGELS U13 visited Taverham Girls for their first league match of the season and suffered a crushing 5-1 defeat. The whole team played below par. By half-time Taverham led 2-0. A third goal went in off a defender following a corner then a Taverham player dribbled past four Angels before laying on a forth goal for a team-mate. The visitors rallied late on and Charlotte converted a penalty but the home side finished the stronger and scored their fifth. Lucy was the pick of the Angels side with some robust tackles against larger opponents.

NORTH WALSHAM U13 drew 2-2 with Norwich United. After a poor performance in the first match of the season in a new league, North Walsham needed a serious raising of game. The first real shot of the game came from NU, forcing a great save from Fox in goal. After a spell of evenly-matched play, Foster forced a good save from the NU keeper. NW exerted increasing pressure but had a let-off when NU shot wide of an open goal. A reaction chip from A Johnson led to a surprise opener for NW, and the half ended 1-0 to NW. United had a great chance in the second half when a lone striker had only the keeper to beat, but the shot was deftly saved by Fox. The keeper had no chance later when an NU forward blasted into the top corner. NW went behind to a good move from United, when the striker's shot was cut back to the far post beyond Fox. NW nearly bundled the ball over the line for an equaliser, but United had slightly the best of the chance in the latter stages, until some excellent work on the wing by Hinton led to a cross for Watson to blast in. A debatable offside call after NW had found the net was disappointing but both teams had chances and a draw was fair.

NORTH WALSHAM DEVILS lost to hosts Fakenham Town 5-0. This was very much a game of two halves, with the Devils unable to match Fakenham in the first. The main attacking force and left side were decimated due to injury and lack of match fitness. Devils failed to clear a free-kick and the ball rolled agonisingly into the net. Within a minute it was 2-0. Despite some aggressive play up front from FHH, he was unable to convert any chances which were provided by Seago and McCrory. The game then entered a period of end-to-end play with no real chances for either team. Fakenham added a third when a lofted ball wasn't cleared. The second half saw a much-improved performance. Despite the score, heads did not drop and Daniels was inspirational in building morale and Crosby returned to the team to add a new dimension to the midfield. Edwards and Ward were strong in defence, matching the Fakenham attackers and Ash was awesome in clearing his lines. Fakenham were awarded a penalty, which was well converted, despite Knight getting a hand on the ball. Although not match-fit, A J Johnson held the ball up well, but was constantly swamped by the Fakenham defence. Against the run of play, Fakenham added a fifth. Walsham seized the initiative on a number of occasions, but the ball just wouldn't go into the net.

STALHAM YOUTH U10 played their first game of the season against Cromer Youth. The boys looked very professional in their smart new kit and won the game 4-1. In the first half Joseph made fantastic saves to keep the score level and deservedly won PoM. There were chances at both ends but fine goal keeping from both keepers kept the game goalless. In addition, Jake and Chris defended well and Sean BK notably worked his socks off, putting passes through and tracking back. Harrison, who had worked very hard showing great strength, finally broke the deadlock just before half-time when he scored from Ryan's pass. This was Ryan's first game and he gave a good performance. The second half saw continued superb defending from Jake and Chris, with Chris making some excellent last minute challenges. Josh played some good little balls forward and was unlucky not to score. Troy then put a good ball out to Matthew on the wing who scored with a good strike. Troy continued to work hard and this paid off when he skipped past four players to net. He then made it 4-1 when he scored from Chris' pass. William played well in goal second half, his kicks from his hands were brilliant. This was a great game by both teams and Stalham are pleased with their first three points.

CROMER YOUTH U11 started the new 2009/10 campaign with a fine 6-2 victory away to a much- fancied Hindolveston side. In only their second game together as an 11-a-side team, last year's U10A and U10B gelled well and promise to be a formidable unit. Cromer got off to a bright start and passed the ball around nicely. The defence was strong and coped well as it got to grips with the offside rule for the first time. The home side took an early lead against the run of play, but Cromer continued to pressure, earning a well-deserved equaliser through the hard-working Adam Spruce, 1-1. Adam scored his second when he headed home a Jack Chapman cross, 2-1. Stevie Foster added a third and Ieuan Lightfoot a fourth. The second half, uphill and against the wind proved to be much harder. Hindolveston scored their second from a corner, but great work in the box saw Zeke Downes score to make it 5-2 to Cromer. A superb strike from outside the box from Ieuan Lightfoot completed an emphatic 6-2 win for Cromer. Great start to the season! MoM: Will Harwood.

EAST COAST WARRIORS U10 entertained Soccer Stars FC U10 in their opening game of the season. The Warriors got off to a cracking start going 1-0 up with a goal from A Galley. J Boggis and L Goodrum were strong in defence with J Boggis seeing an excellent free-kick just go over the bar. East Coast went into the half-time break 2-0 up with a goal from J Stearman. In the second half the whole team played some good passing football and the goals started flying into the net. There was two more for A Galley and J Stearman, a long-range goal for L Goodrum and a neat finish for T Oxley. O Woodrow and M Woodrow were both unlucky not to add to the score. A superb clean sheet from the dependable S Howell in goal made the final score, East Coast Warriors 8, Soccer Stars FC 0.

Most Read

EAST COAST WARRIORS U11 opened the season with a convincing win at home against Stoke United. The first half saw East Coast trying to contend with a determined Stoke defence and a biting North Sea wind. Strong efforts from Brown, Lee and Howell were denied by Stoke's keeper and another Lee attempt was smuggled off the line by some terrific work by the Stoke defence. East Coast keeper Baker had to pull off two good saves, but was well protected by an equally determined back four, leaving it 0-0 at half time, despite East Coast commandeering the lion's share of the possession. The second half started brightly, captain Lubbock leading a revitalised midfield, with some fine individual runs and crosses put in by Othon and Smith amongst others. The breakthrough came with a penalty for hand-ball, neatly slotted away by Brown. This was followed by Lee making a second. Paterson replaced Baker in goal, the latter spending the rest of the game in the forward line. Lubbock drilled an unstoppable effort into the net to make it three. Lee then stabbed home a rebound, and Baker opened his account with a beautifully curved ball to make the tally five. Brown took time and some good skill to plant his second, making six to East Coast. Baker then dropped a scorching cross onto Lozeau's feet, and the ensuing volley made no mistake and a 7-0 score line, before cracking home a long-distance volley to bag his second and East Coast's eighth. Howell finished off the game just before time with a curving effort which left the final score Warriors 9, Stoke 0, a scoreline which did not fully do justice to the tenacious Stoke team and fine saves. An excellent team performance from East Coast whose passing game and hard work deserved victory.

EAST COAST WARRIORS U14 got their season off to a great start with a comfortable 7-1 win against Sheringham. Displaying some brilliant passing football and movement the Warriors were rarely troubled in the first half, dominating the game and bombarding the goal. Some excellent work from the Sheringham keeper denied the Warriors on several occasions and kept the score to 1-0 at half time. In the second half East Coast continued to press but were caught on the break when a speculative shot from just inside their half flew into the top of the net to make the score 1-1. This inspired East Coast and within minutes they had regained the lead. With J Clark, G Balding and C Lubbock dominating the midfield and J Swainson, R Lees and M George working well up front East Coast continued to create chances and managed to find the net five more times. The defence relaxed and A Perry and B Walton pushed forward down the wings giving Sheringham more problems and providing the Warriors forwards with more chances. H Bailey and R Baker worked well in defence and L Davies had an excellent game in goal. The entire East Coast team played well, goals came from J Swainson (2), J Clark (2), M George (2) and H Bailey.

HOLT United U12 entertained last year's league champs Stalham. In what promised to be an enthralling encounter both teams did not disappoint. The game was evenly balanced until midway through the first half when Stalham began to put pressure on. Holt gained a corner and a superb delivery from Bradlie Tucker was met by Jamie Pottle on the near post to head home in style. A mix-up in the Holt defence saw Stalham equalise. The second half again was evenly balanced with both teams hitting the woodwork and both defences on top of the game, especially the hard-working Noah Kerrison in the heart of the Holt back four. It was Stalham who finally got their noses in front with a fine finish. With time running out fast Holt pressed forward and always looked dangerous and it was Bradlie Tucker who came to Holt's rescue, with a weaving run through the heart of the Stalham defence. His shot was deflected past the keeper and the game ended 2-2. Credit to both teams for a battling display. Player of day: Noah Kerrison.

MUNDESLEY Youth U16, fielding several new players, got off to a great start at home to Holt United when Daryl Daglass gave them the lead from their first attack in the first minute. The remainder of the first half was even and just before the break a home player received a red card. The match became 10-a-side early in the second half when a Holt player was also sent off. Holt edged ahead then scored a third goal. Just before the final whistle the ball crept over the line following a scramble to give the visitors a flattering 4-1 win.

SHERINGHAM WARRIORS U15 visited Holt Youth and won 4-1. Warriors gave debuts to two new players, keeper Nathan Lomax and Harry Stamatov, both put in very accomplished displays. Warriors started off brightly passing the ball about well, but fell behind when Holt's striker ran onto a long ball, muscled his way past Josh Dyde and fired home. Warriors pushed to get an equaliser and after some fine attacking play Harry Stamatov found Jodi Norris who drove it into the net. Harry then got a well-deserved goal on his debut when he cut in from the right beat a couple of defenders and fired it into the roof of the net. The Warriors' back four were now working well together, but when Tommy Bywater got injured Shane Cox switched to centre-back and carried on where Tommy had left off with a string of decent tackles. In the second Jacob Knowles got a lot of joy down the left and Will Parker put in some teasing crosses down the right. Jodi made it 3-1 when he latched onto a cross from Jacob. Harry Carrington and Cameron Humphrey put in a real hard-working display in midfield winning most of the 50-50 balls. Josh Dyde, Ali Burghall and Tom Harrison with Shane and Tommy looked very good at the back not giving Holt many chances. Tom Dorey made it 4-1 when Harry Carrington's shot was parried by the keeper for Tom to coolly slot past the keeper. Holt had a chance to get a goal back but an acrobatic save from Nathan Lomax kept them out. It was a fine start to the season for Warriors who won 4-1.

STALHAM U12A travelled to Holt expecting a tough game. Stalham started well and put Holt under a lot of pressure. Will and Ryan both had great shots denied by the crossbar and Adam had his shot saved. However, Holt were the first to score with a good header from a corner. Stalham replied straight away with a very well-taken goal by Ryan. Jake put a good ball through to Matti to fire home making the score 2-1. Stalham were unlucky to concede with five minutes left when a shot took a deflection off Kieran. This was a good performance and Stalham will only get better as the season goes on. PoM: Ryan for some good passing and very positive play. Special mention goes to Matti for a solid game on the wing and the back four of Tom, Dom P, Kieran and Joel in goal. Stalham played Gorleston in a mid-week friendly and put in a great team display, the determination from every single player throughout the game reflected the score with them winning 2-0. Matti fired in the first and Ryan very clearly lobbed the keeper to get the second.

WORSTEAD WOLVES U10 beat Mundesley 9-2. Wolves, with two new signings, and made a very good start to the season. Both teams started well, but it was Worstead who opened the scoring and added four more goals before half-time. Although Mundesley pushed Worstead back, the Worstead keeper was in great form. With a few changes to the line-up in the second half, Worstead continued to play some great football and scored four more good goals. Worstead's management were delighted with the display by all. MoM: Harry McCarter.