North Norfolk youth scene

NORTH WALSHAM DEVILS travelled to Hethersett for a second round cup tie and won big. In the first attacking move of the game the Devils failed to clear a simple corner, the loose ball being forced into the net for Hethersett to take the lead.

NORTH WALSHAM DEVILS travelled to Hethersett for a second round cup tie and won big. In the first attacking move of the game the Devils failed to clear a simple corner, the loose ball being forced into the net for Hethersett to take the lead. Within two minutes they equalised through C Kerry. D Crosby and J Edwards took control of the middle and with C Harkness acting as an attacking midfielder the Hethersett defence were overwhelmed. J Cork and C Daniels had freedom to run down the flanks and they were soon rewarded when D Crosby scored his first. AJ Johnson scored his first a minute later, he and C Kerry adding a second each to take a half-time 5-1 lead. The Devils kept their shape with H Ward and G Ash playing no-nonsense football at the back. In one-way traffic J Edwards, C Harkness, FHH all got on the scoresheet with C Kerry (3), AJ Johnson (3) and D Crosby (4) all adding to their tally. D Emery, C Hurst and W Baines all made appearances during the second half. As at the beginning of the game, Hethersett had the last word when they scored in the last minute. Despite a good saving parry by T Knight, it fell to an unmarked opposition attacker to shoot into an empty net.

NORTH WALSHAM DEVILS beat Poringland Wanderers 4-2. Returning to league action, the Devils entertained an unknown entity in Poringland. Reverting to the traditional 4-4-2 with FHH dropping into defence, the defenders were under instructions to clear their lines, which they did throughout the game. Despite a very sticky pitch, the Devils put together some nice passing pieces, allowing C Harkness to boss the right wing and provide the attackers with plenty of chances. C Kerry beat the offside trap to open the scoring. J Cork enjoyed his position on the left wing, working well with D Emery. J Edwards and G Ash bossed the middle of defence, linking well with D Crosby and H Ward. The second goal came after 36 minutes following pinball in the Poringland penalty area that led to an own goal. Poringland replied from the penalty spot. The two goal lead was regained following some good aggressive play by AJ Johnson. Winning a corner, G Ash picked up a loose ball 12 yards out and shot through a crowd past an unsighted keeper. Replacements made: M Seago and C Daniels, the Devils continued to push and were rewarded with a fourth goal when a deft crossfield ball was slotted home by C Kerry. Poringland converted a second penalty. C Harkness hit a cracking shot against the bar. With the local derby next against Aylsham, North Walsham are looking forward to continuing their winning run.

CROMER YOUTH U11 fought torrential rain, feisty opposition to make hard work of their 6-1 victory over Aylsham. Cromer were unable to convert their early pressure into goals and Aylsham, against the run of play, took the lead after 15 minutes. Minutes later the Cromer boys got into their stride and to equalised through Will Harwood. Moments later Will scored his second with a superb strike to give Cromer a 2-1 half-time lead. Early second half, the industrious Joe Gasse-Coope latched onto a loose ball in the box to notch Cromer's third. Ieuan Lightfoot skipped through the Aylsham defence to slot home Cromer's fourth and minutes later scored his second from the penalty spot after being dragged down in the area. Ieuan completed his hat-trick to make it 6-1 to Cromer and minutes later Tom Cox was unfortunate to have a late 'goal' disallowed for offside. Man of the match: Joe Gasse-Coope.

EAST COAST WARRIORS U11 hosted a very direct and physical Norman Wanderers at Bodham. Much of the first half consisted of midfield and defensive battles. Coast found that any play in the Wanderers half meant that all 11 opposition players appeared behind the ball, and attempts at an open passing game were frustrated by sheer numbers in Wanderers' box. Howell and Othon went close, but were denied. At the far end the solid back four of Wilkinson, Smith, Glasgow and Reid mopped up anything that got past midfield, and keeper Baker was left with little to do. But shortly before half-time Coast conceded a penalty for handling. Baker dived the full width of the goal, but couldn't quite stop Orford's shot rounding the ends of his fingers. Coast levelled with a neat half-volley from Roffey. After the break, Lee, Othon, Lozeau, Brown and Howell all put in decent crosses, and Paterson had a useful wing debut for Roffey. But it was Lozeau who ran half the length of the pitch and dribbled round four defenders to slot home. A couple of minutes later he took down a neat lob from behind and slammed home a second. Despite determined efforts on the part of the Coast attack and some near misses, nothing further went through Norman's defence. East Coast stay top the table with a 3-1 final score-line, deserved for sheer persistence and work ethic.

STALHAM YOUTH U12A entertained Blofield United. Kieran, Dom P and Rylan worked hard and Joel pulled off a couple of good saves. The midfield five battled hard. Up front Ryan and Aiden's endless running was a constant threat and they got the breakthrough with five minutes of the half remaining when, after a lot of battling, Aiden laid the ball off for Ryan to fire home. Dom M played Ryan in who battled his way through a packed Blofield defence to fire in his second. He completed his hat-trick when he netted the rebound from Dom M's shot. The second half saw Blofield scoring after just two minutes. Stalham got made it 4-1 when Adam put in a superb cross that Matti got on the end of. Matti put in a cross that Adam controlled nicely only to see his shot saved, however he won the rebound, finishing nicely with his left foot. Stalham saw their final goal come from a well-placed through ball from Jake to Matti who calmly took the ball round the keeper Blofield scored just before the end to make the final score 6-2 to Stalham. PoM: Joel for a fine display of goalkeeping.

EAST COAST WARRIORS U10 travelled to Reepham and won 13-0. East Coast Warriors started well and were 6-0 up at half-time. S Howell and A Galley kept a clean sheet in goal and C Craske and L Goodrum cleared the balls well in defence. A Galley, A Little and J Boggis linked up well in midfield with the forwards J Stearman, T Oxley and S Howell. The goal-scorers were T Oxley, L Goodrum (2), A Little (2), J Boggis (3), J Stearman (4) and an own goal.

Most Read

STALHAM U10 played the very strong Colt Jags team for the second week in a row and lost 4-1. Stalham started well and all worked hard. They were very unlucky to concede an own goal then Jags scored a very good second goal. The second half saw a period of torrential rain and very difficult playing conditions. Colt Jags managed to nick another goal. After excellent battling from Ryan, Troy made it 3-1 from a good long-range strike and had a couple more good strikes later on. Colt Jags scored a fourth very good goal to finish the game. William was on top form in goal, his best performance of the season and won PoM. Chris made crucial tackles and Jake tirelessly man marked. Harry showed his strength and determination and for the second week in a row he got a boot to his face. Daniel battled hard and headers and Ryan was brilliant. Matthew had his best game of the season. Josh made a nuisance of himself in the second half and was involved in some good team play. Troy put in some good crosses, corners and strikes at goal.

NORTH WALSHAM U15 got their second win of the season 4-3 against old rivals Sheringham Youth. These two teams are very evenly matched which resulted in an exciting end to end performance from both teams. North Walsham went behind after 15 minutes to a well taken goal. Strikers Swift and Nichols attacked with no result. The midfield of Roper, Fielding McCrory and Myhill controlled the centre of the field well working well with the attack and the defence. In the final minute of the first half North Walsham equalised. Swift connected with a ball into the penalty area to side foot into the net. Nichols broke through the Sheringham defence after five minutes to score from the edge of the penalty area. Sheringham put a lot of pressure on the Walsham defence of Plummer, High, Finch and Neill and forced good saves from keeper Colyer. Sheringham after 10 minutes got the equaliser to make it 2-2. However, after 20 minutes Nichols broke through again to restore Walsham's lead. More pressure from Walsham resulted in Sheringham conceding an own goal in the 28th minute to give North Walsham a 4-2 lead. Sheringham with four minutes left pulled one back.

NORTH WALSHAM U15 beat Old Catton B U15 4-1, working hard to avenge an earlier defeat. North Walsham's defence of Myhill, High, Neill and Clarke, together with goalkeeper Colyer had to work hard. However, Walsham were first to score. Strikers Swift and Nichols forced Catton to put the ball in their own net. The second half saw Walsham continuing to push forward with the midfield of Roper, Fielding, McCrory and Sherry continuing to provide for the forwards. Nichols put Walsham ahead 2-0 after five minutes. Old Catton scored five minutes later to make it 2-1. Walsham substitute Phillips scored in the 25th minute and Roper in the 32nd minute to make the final score North Walsham 4, Old Catton 1.

MUNDESLEY YOUTH U16 visited Norman Wanderers for the second week running, and gave away two late goals to present the points to the home side 4-3. Mundesley took an early lead when Joe Culley headed home from a cross by George Crane. Norman equalised and led 2-1 at half-time thanks to a hotly disputed penalty. Just into the second half Culley latched onto a through ball and shot into the roof of the net to bring his side level. Ben Smith chipped the ball to the edge of the penalty area and Culley beat the keeper for his hat-trick. Mundesley looked well in command but helped the home side back into the match when a defender mishit the ball across the edge of the area and a Norman forward chipped into the top right corner. In the last minute Mundesley allowed Norman to work the ball down the left wing and the cross from the by-line was converted for the winner.

HOLT U10 travelled to Mundesley with a depleted squad and came away 3-0 winners. Holt started well with flowing passing and solid defending, Cameron captain for the day, was superb in midfield with Joe alongside him and both controlled the game. From one of Cameron's corners Tyla volleyed into the net for 1-0, a 'goal' was also disallowed from a cracking shot from Cameron which Tyla poked in. Holt continued the second half with Joe and Bobby solid in defence, Cameron and Joe working hard and Tyla and Terry up front and they were rewarded with Tyla's second goal. The third came from one of Cameron's superb corners. The score would have been more but for some fantastic saves from Terry's strikes. Jack was superb in goal to keep a clean sheet and Kyle supported the team that worked as a solid unit. PoM: Tyla Cole.

EAST COAST WARRIORS U9 travelled to Old Catton B for a top of the table clash and came away with a well deserved 4-0 victory. An early cross from L Copeman found a sliding T Redgrave at the back post to make it 1-0.

The second came from the right foot of L Simmons after he battled his way through the home defence. L Simmons was brought down in the area and R Porter-Davis smashed home the spot kick: 3-0 East Coast at half-time. Some solid defending from A Sheridan and J Templeman and reliable keeping from A Neath kept the scores static. The home keeper failed to hold on to a L Copeman shot late in the game to make the final score 4-0 East Coast.

NORTH WALSHAM ANGELS GIRLS U13 visited Norwich City Girls and were defeated 3-0. Angels' goalkeeper, Emily P, had a magnificent match with a string of superb saves. Charlotte began in defence alongside Lucy with Sophie H, Jess and Robyn making up the midfield and Lauren as striker. Zoe, the engine of the team, will miss all or most of the rest of the season with a knee injury. Norwich led 1-0 at half-time, a shot deflecting past Emily, and they added two further goals in the second period from close range. Kiera had a spell on the right wing but was always closely marked by a bigger defender. Charlotte moved into midfield and tested the keeper with some long-range shots. Promise for the future was the form of recent new signings Olivia, who once again showed her willingness to chase and harass defenders, and Sophie S, who provided much-needed defensive cover.