North Walsham Town club notes

North Walsham Town made the long trip to face Brandon and, for the 2nd week running bounced back from a goal down to claim the points, in a full blooded 2-1 victory.

North Walsham Town made the long trip to face Brandon and, for the 2nd week running bounced back from a goal down to claim the points, in a full blooded 2-1 victory.

The Angels line-up had one change from the Sheringham win with Clifton, having come through a midweek friendly unscathed, replacing the suspended Clarke. Davies returned to the squad and joined Davison & Doggett on the bench.

Despite a fragmented start littered with stoppages, Town looked the livelier in the early stages and Clifton & Fitzgerald were both looking dangerous. On one attack, they linked up well, but the ball just wouldn't drop for Clifton as he looked to feed Wilton. Unfortunately, this was his last contribution as the challenge he received led to him departing the action and being replaced by Davies.

This didn't seem to affect Town's start and the Brandon keeper made 2 great saves from Lown & Fitzgerald and a last gasp block thwarted Hinton. At the other end, Munday made three good blocks to preserve his clean sheet, but was saved by his crossbar when a goalmouth scramble saw the ball balloon up and strike the woodwork.

As the game progressed, Brandon began to become more of a threat with their fluent formation and playing style. On one attack, Waites broke clear but fired wide when faced by Munday.

Midway through the half, the home side took the lead. A poorly cleared ball fell to Leach, who controlled and fired goalwards. The ball then took a massive deflection to leave Munday helpless and wrong-footed as the ball floated into the opposite corner.

Most Read

The Angles were not behind for long though and equalised on the half hour. Hinton's quickly taken free-kick was met by Matthew Lown who beat the Brandon keeper to the ball and headed home for his 5th of the season.

During the break, the management asked for the energy levels to be upped and that the three points were there for the taking with a determined second half display.

Town carried out their instructions to the letter as the back four coped admirably with everything thrown at them and Munday's role mainly consisted of dealing with high crosses whilst under great pressure. At the other end, Fitzgerald was proving to be a constant thorn in the Brandon defence's side, whilst Wilton, Hinton & Davies were providing a verve & vigour that has become synonymous with Walsham's attacking play. Grand & Piper were battling well against their Suffolk counterparts with Grand looking especially impressive as he shackled Edwards to such an extent that he was becoming less & less of an influence.

Lown & Muir both went close from set pieces, whilst Fitzgerald & Hinton both saw efforts blocked.

Town grabbed the winning goal on 82 mins. Fitzgerald received Dunlop's throw, spun and showed great vision as his raking crossfield ball released Dale Wilton, who reached the ball first to lob the onrushing keeper and send the Walsham travelling contingent into unbridled joy.

Town then introduced Doggett & Davison in place of the fatigued Grand & Hinton and set about preserving their slender advantage. They defended fabulously dealing with every ball that was fired forward and put their bodies on the line to ensure there were no further goals before referee Goldsmith's final whistle.

Due to Cromer's inactivity, this win saw The Angels reach the summit of the table and it is hoped that the resilience and determination in recent weeks will be evident in the coming fixtures against Watton & Loddon.

Joint manager Chase was pleased with the three points and acknowledged that although the football on offer was not as attractive as it has been, the main goal was the three points and this was achieved through true grit & desire.

To complete a fine weekend for the club, the Reserves returned to winning ways and reached the quarter finals of the C S Morley Cup with a 3-0 success over Horsford Res whilst Ross Ellis' prot�g�s recorded a 4-3 win over Coltishall to remain well placed in their division. The Sunday side's cup game with Manor Park fell victim to the invasion of warthogs at Greens Road and was postponed on Health & Safety grounds after consultation with the RSPCA.