Drmic on target and Leitner in action as City U23s beat Palace 3-0
- Credit: Archant
Josip Drmic was on target again, in another 3-0 win for Norwich City Under-23s, as the out-of-favour striker was joined by Mo Leitner in getting some valuable game time.
The Switzerland international is surplus to requirements at City following relegation from the Premier League and hasn’t been given a squad number for this season – but is under contract until 2022.
Drmic had also played in a 3-0 win over Reading at the Lotus Training Centre last Monday but was joined by midfielder Leitner and goalkeeper Michael McGovern in the U23s team for the latest Premier League Two match.
Leitner also started at Colney and helped David Wright’s development squad beat Crystal Palace 3-0. Tom Trybull is the third senior player not have been given a squad number by the Canaries but was not involved.
Former Borussia Monchengladbach striker Drmic saw an early volley cleared off the line but the hosts took the lead in just the eighth minute when Irish midfielder William Hondermarck fired home a cross from right-back Ethen Vaughan.
You may also want to watch:
Palace had no first team involvement in their squad and were trailing 1-0 at the break on a sodden evening, before seeing Drmic hit the bar and McGovern deny them with a good save after the break.
Drmic got his goal in the 81st minute though when a long-range strike beat the Eagles keeper and substitute Tyrese Omotoye completed the victory when he slotted a third just four minutes later - who had replaced Leitner at the break, who has previously been training away from the club back home in Germany.
- 1 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
- 2 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
- 3 Police interviews and faulty planes - the inside track on Onel's Cuba bow
- 4 Dowell pledge from City boss
- 5 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 6 Lee Payne: Bruce has got it wrong over Norwich City and Premier League
- 7 Candid Cantwell opens up on struggles during 'whirlwind' summer
- 8 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 9 Local lad tag weighs heavy on Cantwell's shoulders
- 10 Farke's fledglings: How City chief moulded the next generation for Canaries
Drmic, Leitner and Trybull have until October 5 to secure a deal with a club overseas and until October 16 if they are to join another club in England or Wales.
City U23s: McGovern; Vaughan, Omobamidele (C), Tomkinson, Nizet; Dronfield, McAlear, Giurgi (Milovanovic 70), Leitner (Omotoye 46), Hondermarck (Dennis 63); Drmic. Unused subs: McCracken (GK), Warner.