Hesitant return to Canaries action for Pukki as partnership with Drmic fell flat
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Teemu Pukki was in need of a break - but did it do him any good? David Freezer kept a close eye on the City striker’s performance during last night’s disappointing 3-0 home loss to Southampton.
1 – Yan Valery takes out the Finn, who had got goal-side of him; chance for Emi Buendia to whip in a free-kick but Tom Trybull can’t connect in the box.
8 – Pukki cleverly steps over a Buendia pass to allow Jamal Lewis to tear away, he finds the striker quickly and shovels on to Josip Drmic, whose poor touch takes him inside and then shot from near the penalty spot is deflected behind.
20 – Lovely pass with the outside of the boot from Kenny McLean sets Pukki in behind Jan Bednarek on the right, checks back but move breaks down.
28 – Hassles Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg on halfway, after Drmic is clattered challenging in the air with Bednarek, claimed for a free-kick but Saints push forward and win a corner.
You may also want to watch:
31 – City clear their lines and Pukki flicks to Drmic, his strike partner just about manages to keep possession on halfway, after a bit of a battle.
35 – Pukki closes down keeper Alex McCarthy and kick is thumped against him but spirals to Ryan Bertrand and away from goal.
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 Iwan Roberts: My one regret over Canaries' 2004 promotion
- 3 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss
- 4 Can City seal just their third Carrow Road promotion?
- 5 Another goal for Drmic - could City striker earn Euros recall?
- 6 'That's the bottom line' - Dowell clear on his City priorities
- 7 'We want to correct what happened' - City ace on top-flight aims
- 8 City boss has found his job 'even harder' than title-winning season
- 9 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 10 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
41 – Good strength on halfway to beat Jack Stephens to the ball, McLean finds Todd Cantwell on the left and Drmic back to Cantwell on the edge of the box, McLean teed up but little power on low shot and McCarthy holds.
45 – Bundled over on the left by Stuart Armstrong after a good burst of pace, opportunity to get a free-kick in the box. Buendia good pace on the set-piece, whips it in but Timm Klose can’t quite get his head on it – and is offside anyway.
56 – Lewis gets forward well and cross is deeper than he intended, McCarthy clatters his own post but keeps hold of the ball with Pukki lurking.
59 – Cantwell’s good through-ball sets Pukki through, Bednarek blocks shot for a corner.
64 – Onel Hernandez seizes on a loose ball and finds, Buendia, nice spread to Drmic on the right, tees up Pukki, who takes a touch to go around Bednarek but then shot deflects and is cleared, should have scored, with match still at 2-0.
80 – Replaced by Adam Idah after the Saints’ third goal.
VERDICT: Not many chances and didn’t look at his instinctive best with the two biggest openings which came his way in the second half. Lacked chemistry with Drmic as a partnership, an unhappy return to action.
RATING: 5 out of 10