Rupp relishing his increasing influence at City
- Credit: PA
Lukas Rupp is enjoying his increasing influence at Norwich City.
The midfielder has made a consistent start to Championship life and was named in the Championship Team of Midweek after Tuesday’s 1-0 home victory over Birmingham.
City dominated the match and enjoyed 73 percent of possession, attempting more passes (773) than in any previous league game during Daniel Farke’s reign, with Rupp attempting more than anyone (113) and more than the four Blues midfielders who had started the game combined (90).
Asked how much he is enjoying his football at the moment, the 29-year-old German replied: “A lot, of course. I am in possession a lot so when I have the ball I can decide which side (to pass to).
“We played well in the last games but the results were not satisfying. Two wins now and we have self-confidence for the upcoming games.”
The former Hoffenheim and Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder stole possession from Birmingham striker Scott Hogan to begin the attack which won the game for City, with Emi Buendia playing Adam Idah into the box and Mario Vrancic finishing the move in the 87th minute.
You may also want to watch:
Rupp played alongside Vrancic in the Bundesliga at Paderborn during 2014-15 and, speaking to City’s official YouTube channel, he continued: “We should have scored earlier but we created a lot of chances and it showed great character that we scored in the 87th minute. Mario came in and did a great job.
“You need some time to come in after the substitution but in the end they did a great job.”
MORE: The numbers behind City’s dominance of Birmingham - as a Farke era high is achievedHe added: “It was important for us, a second win in a row. It was a tough game, we should have scored earlier but in the end this was deserved for us.”
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 5 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 10 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
The dominant win built on the 2-1 success at Rotherham on Saturday but saw the Blues set up very defensively, with midfielder Adam Clayton sent off after a second yellow card just before the goal.
Rupp concluded: “They had a bit more possession in the second half but in the end we had around 80 percent I think (73pc), so that’s amazing in the Championship.
“We have a lot of games so we have to rotate a little bit and everyone who is on the pitch at the moment shows his qualities.”