Norwich v Liverpool... a blast from the past
- Credit: Archant Library
Norwich City and Liverpool have locked horns 56 times in the league – and it’s not always been pretty for the Canaries.
Recent years have seen goals go in with increasing regularity – Luis Suarez has had a field day, with 11 goals in a four-game run.
It was back before the Premier League hadn’t even been thought of that City enjoyed their best time against the Reds – in 1982/83 they won 2-0 at Anfield and 1-0 at Carrow Road – the first and only time they have ever doubled the Mersey giants.
In the Premier League’s first season – 1992-93 – City beat Liverpool at home but lost away – and the following season drew 2-2 at home and won 1-0 at Anfield – the last time they beat tomorrow’s opponents.
That was on April 30 1994 – and came courtesy of a Jeremy Goss goal – the last ever scored in front of the old standing Kop, about to make way for seats after 66 years.
“The ball came across from a set-piece, so was there was basically a wall of red shirts coming at me,” said Goss.” didn’t have any time in which to bring it down, control it and look for a pass. All I could do was control it and half-volley it at goal and luckily for me it spooned in past David James’s left hand into the top corner. I ran away and celebrated and couldn’t believe it.”
Since that victory, City have managed at least one win against every Premier League side they will face this season – which presumably makes Liverpool their bogey side...
- 1 Mumba on target as City youngsters thrash Wolves
- 2 'I could hear my new song' - Rashica loving life at City
- 3 Smith joins Lambert, O'Neill and Howson at anniversary lunch for City owners and Foulger
- 4 City midfielder needs surgery
- 5 PRESSER: Newcastle v City - Normann ruled out
- 6 'I would have no fears playing Lukas' - Smith on Rupp call
- 7 City trading in a different currency to Magpies
- 8 We meet again... Ex-City stars poised to face Canaries as Newcastle players
- 9 Terri Westgate: City could make those hasty predictions look very silly
- 10 Who replaces Normann? The key decisions Dean Smith faces ahead of Newcastle
Norwich wins: 11
Liverpool wins: 32
Revisit old Norwich City match reports and search the entire EDP archive from your computer, tablet or voice-activated devices by subscribing to localrecall.co.uk.