Norwich book place in Senior Cup final

KEITH PEEL Norwich United came from behind to beat Fakenham Town 2-1 and book their place in the Norfolk Senior Cup final at Carrow Road.


Norwich United came from behind to beat Fakenham Town 2-1 and book their place in the Norfolk Senior Cup final at Carrow Road.

Their opponents will not be known until Tuesday night, when big guns Dereham Town and Wroxham replay at Aldiss Park after drawing 2-2 at Trafford Park.

Nick Haynes headed Fakenham into a 13th-minute lead from Robbie Palmer's long throw-in at Clipbush Park.

You may also want to watch:

Jamie Hunton was allowed space to break through the Ghosts' defence to equalise on 57 minutes, and James Shipley headed United's winner in the 68th minute.

“We were very poor in the first half and didn't look up for a semi-final,” reflected United joint manager Paul Franklin.

Most Read

“There was no passion or pride in our play and Fakenham were by far the better team, without creating that many scoring opportunities.

“Going forward we had the potential to cause them problems, but the attitude wasn't right, so we said a few things during the break and the lads responded.

“There was a new spring in their step and thankfully we scored the next goal, which was our first objective.

“If we'd gone 2-0 down it would have been a hell of a long way back, but I always felt that, if we could get back level, we could go on and win.

“I thought we ran out deserved winners in the end, but they made life very difficult for us.”

Hot-shot Danny Wright gave Dereham a fourth-minute lead and then struck again in the 41st minute.

Wroxham player-manager Damian Hilton switched himself from centre-half to centre-forward after the break and within five minutes the move paid dividends as he reduced the deficit.

Shaun Howes equalised five minutes later and then Wright was sent off after receiving his second yellow card before the tie went into extra time, which produced no further goals.

“We never really got going in the first half,” conceded Hilton.

“Dereham showed more desire to win than we did and deservedly went 2-0 up, but we never thought we were out of it.

“It was a question of getting a bit of luck and an early goal to open up the game again, which we obviously did.

“Me moving up front gave us more of a game plan. There was always a target and we started to play on the front foot rather than the back. It gave us more of a direct approach and obviously it worked quite well.”

He added: “We have a few problems for the replay, with three players suspended, so I'll have to ring the changes.”

Dereham manager Robert Taylor said: “Wroxham put us under a bit of pressure when we went down to 10 men, but we battled and defended well with the young side we've got and I thought we deserved the draw.

“Danny Wright took his goals superbly, but I knew it was going to be tough in the second half because they've got the quality in their side to come back and give you problems.

“Whatever players they put out they will still be tough to beat in the replay, especially as we have problems of our own, with three or four players injured.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus