‘Ralf is totally the right choice’ – Farke explains City’s loan move for Fahrmann
- Credit: Jason Dawson/JASONPIX
Head coach Daniel Farke has explained that Schalke loanee Ralf Fahrmann is the ‘perfect fit’ to provide strong competition for goalkeeper Tim Krul at Norwich City this season.
The 30-year-old Bundesliga regular has joined on a season-long deal, adding to the strong German influence since Farke arrived, joining the likes of Christoph Zimmermann, Mo Leitner and Tom Trybull.
Krul was an ever-present as the Canaries won the Championship title last season but did suffer a serious knee injury in 2015, which brought an end to his Newcastle career eventually, so strong competition was expected.
The Dutchman was rewarded with a new contract until 2022 and Northern Ireland veteran Michael McGovern also signed until 2021 earlier in the year, to act as cover.
Farke told City's website: "It was important to bring another goalkeeper in and our target was always to bring in the best goalkeeper we could get. We are convinced that Ralf is totally the right choice.
"He is a pretty experienced guy, played at the top level and has many appearances in the Champions League and German Bundesliga. He plays for a massive club (Schalke) which is one of the biggest clubs in Germany.
You may also want to watch:
"He's an unbelievable character, hard working and a lovely guy. As the skipper at Schalke, he knows exactly what is necessary for the group and for spirit and togetherness.
"We are unbelievably careful when we bring in new signings as it's not only about their quality as a player but also about the personality and we all get the feeling that he is a perfect fit to our squad, so we are all delighted."
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 3 "He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed with Norwich
- 4 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 5 City keeper issues injury update
- 6 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 7 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 10 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win