‘Ralf is totally the right choice’ – Farke explains City’s loan move for Fahrmann
- Credit: Jason Dawson/JASONPIX
Head coach Daniel Farke has explained that Schalke loanee Ralf Fahrmann is the ‘perfect fit’ to provide strong competition for goalkeeper Tim Krul at Norwich City this season.
The 30-year-old Bundesliga regular has joined on a season-long deal, adding to the strong German influence since Farke arrived, joining the likes of Christoph Zimmermann, Mo Leitner and Tom Trybull.
Krul was an ever-present as the Canaries won the Championship title last season but did suffer a serious knee injury in 2015, which brought an end to his Newcastle career eventually, so strong competition was expected.
The Dutchman was rewarded with a new contract until 2022 and Northern Ireland veteran Michael McGovern also signed until 2021 earlier in the year, to act as cover.
Farke told City's website: "It was important to bring another goalkeeper in and our target was always to bring in the best goalkeeper we could get. We are convinced that Ralf is totally the right choice.
"He is a pretty experienced guy, played at the top level and has many appearances in the Champions League and German Bundesliga. He plays for a massive club (Schalke) which is one of the biggest clubs in Germany.
You may also want to watch:
"He's an unbelievable character, hard working and a lovely guy. As the skipper at Schalke, he knows exactly what is necessary for the group and for spirit and togetherness.
"We are unbelievably careful when we bring in new signings as it's not only about their quality as a player but also about the personality and we all get the feeling that he is a perfect fit to our squad, so we are all delighted."
- 1 Aarons suffers shin injury
- 2 Thankless task for makeshift striker Marco in Coventry draw
- 3 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 4 Paddy Davitt: City player ratings against Sky Blues
- 5 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 6 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 7 Paddy Davitt verdict: Farke and the City curse
- 8 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 9 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 10 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage