Norwich City 1 Brighton 1 quotes: Daniel Farke’s verdict
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Farke confirmed Ivo Pinto is set to miss the Championship opener against Fulham after wrapping up pre-season with a 1-1 draw against Premier League Brighton.
Pinto is an outside shot to make the matchday squad at Craven Cottage after only returning to training on Friday following a hamstring injury. Wes Hoolahan was another notable absentee against the Seagulls, along with Josh Murphy, but both will be available for the big league kick-off.
“Josh has played a lot during pre-season. After Charlton, when he played 90 minutes, there was some strain with the muscle. I don’t think it is too bad,” said Farke. “He should return after the weekend. I think it is not a problem for Fulham. We didn’t want to take any risks with Josh. Good news with Wes. He has trained the whole week with us. He won’t be 100pc for Fulham but he is an option for Fulham.
“Ivo trained for the first time yesterday. He missed the whole pre-season. I don’t think he will be in a condition to join us for Fulham. Perhaps the bench but he needs some time to get his best condition.”
Farke declared himself satisfied by another useful work out on his Carrow Road debut. Marley Watkins’ thumping strike cancelled out Pascal Gross’ header.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a good last friendly game for us. The guys did it well,” he said. “We were dominant in the first half. We had something like 70pc possession in the first half. Brighton is a well-organised side. Very difficult to create chances normally but we did. The only thing I could criticise was when we got near goal and one sloppy situation from their cross to concede. The reaction was good. We didn’t get nervous. We deserved the 1-1. Second half was a bit closer together. Also we were the better team. Nelson Oliveira hits the post. We deserved to win against a Premier League team but I am content with the performance.
“We spent so much time defending crossing situations in pre-season. We spoke about it and had no fault on this topic, until now. I was not amused that we are too sloppy in that situation but it is football. Sometimes the guys make mistakes but the reaction was good. They concentrated from them on, didn’t make any mistakes and the reaction was good. It shows a lot about the mentality of my group.”
- 1 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 2 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 4 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 5 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 6 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 7 'Three Lungs' back in business
- 8 Connor Southwell: Can McLean solve City’s number 10 conundrum?
- 9 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 10 Farke on moves to curb goal celebrations