Norwich City 2, Southend United 1
SLIDESHOW: Oli Johnson’s first two goals at Carrow Road got Norwich City out of jail against Southend United. The night ended in ecstasy for Canaries fans but for so long it looked like a disjointed and careless performance would cost City as they tried to bounce back from their 2-0 home defeat to Southampton on Saturday.
Norwich 2, Southend 1
Oli Johnson's first two goals at Carrow Road got Norwich City out of jail against Southend United.
The night ended in ecstasy for Canaries fans but for so long it looked like a disjointed and careless performance would cost City as they tried to bounce back from their 2-0 home defeat to Southampton on Saturday.
Things looked bad when Damien Scannell beat full-back Michael Rose too easily and his low cross brought a calamitous mix up from Gary Doherty and Michael Nelson, the ball fell to Scott Vernon, who took his chance well, firing high past Fraser Forster.
You may also want to watch:
Holt hit the outside of the post after good work from McNamee as Norwich tried to force the issue in the second half and despite a Norwich equaliser looking a forlorn hope, substitute Oli Johnson delivered.
He was in the right time and the right place just 10 minutes after he came on to follow up Mildenhall's parry from a low Grant Holt drive to level matters on 78 minutes.
- 1 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 2 City transfer rumours: West Ham show interest in £30m rated Aarons
- 3 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 4 No West Ham contact for Aarons; Drmic wage hike unlikely
- 5 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 6 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 7 Former City boss to leave post at the end of the season
- 8 'We want to top this season off properly' - Krul's message to fans
- 9 City hot-shot out to prove point in Premier League, claims ex-Canary
- 10 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
And while both sides could have won it in at the death, somehow it was City who bagged all three points when Johnson nodded home one of several excellent McNamee corners to get City out of jail and sent Carrow Road wild - seconds before the final whistle blew.
Norwich: (4-4-2) Forster; R Martin, Doherty, Nelson, Rose; McNamee, Hughes (Smith 68), Lappin (Johnson 68), Hoolahan; Holt, C Martin. Unused subs: Steer, Gill, Spillane, Adeyemi, McVeigh. Goals: Johnson 78, 90. Booking: R Martin 89.
Southend: (4-1-3-2) Mildenhall; Francis, M'voto (Paterson 20), Baldwin, Barrett; Christophe; Moussa (Herd 80), McCormack, Malone; Vernon, Scannell. Unused subs: Jack, Sankofa, Freedman, Laurent, Spencer. Goal: Vernon 45.
Referee: Mick Russell (Hertfordshire)