Pukki pleased to have rekindled Stiepermann connection
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Teemu Pukki is pleased to have a productive Marco Stiepermann behind him after the pair combined to open the scoring in Norwich City’s win over Bristol City.
The German midfielder has struggled for fitness, form and confidence recently, but displayed his quality by playing a pivotal role in the Canaries 3-1 win at Ashton Gate.
Stiepermann’s defence splitting pass found Pukki before the Finnish international smashed the ball into the net to opening the scoring.
City fans could have been forgiven for thinking they’d travelled back in time as the duo combined, but Pukki is hoping this performance will help the Stiepermann recapture the form that saw him thrive two years ago.
“It’s nice. I enjoy playing with Stiepi,” Pukki said. “When we went up it was a good partnership between me and him.
You may also want to watch:
“It hasn’t been easy for him lately but to get this game and this assist, it’s important for him to get his confidence back and he will be an important player for us.
“I hope we can build up like we did today. It looked good today and I enjoy playing with Marco.
- 1 ‘Norwich is a cracking club’ - Warnock explains why Boro couldn’t sign Gibson
- 2 Blows for Hugill, McLean and Cantwell as injury crisis deepens for City ahead of trip to Stoke
- 3 Paddy’s Pointers: Five observations from Norwich City’s eventful 3-2 Championship win against Stoke City
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Norwich City player ratings after a 3-2 Championship victory at Stoke City
- 5 Farke fears Krul out for weeks
- 6 Excitement mounts ahead of proposed return for Norwich City at Luton
- 7 'We complement each other quite nicely' - Gibson on growing partnership with Hanley
- 8 Connor Southwell: There's plenty to admire about Norwich City's response to relegation
- 9 'I rate him as the best midfield player in the league' - Warnock hails former City star
- 10 Fans return: 2,000 supporters WILL be permitted to attend matches at Carrow Road as Norwich placed in Tier 2
“We have a lot of good players and options as well; I enjoy playing with these guys and if we keep it going then there will be a lot of goals this season.”
Pukki is easing himself back into the Championship after a productive but testing season in the top-flight. The Finn was the Canaries talisman two seasons ago and is hoping his two goals at Ashton Gate will give him the confidence to push on.
“It feels good. I’m buzzing now after this game. It hasn’t been the best start for me either so it’s important for me to get this game under my belt. I’m happy with how things are but we need to be focused in every game to ensure we’re doing everything to get the goals.
“It is (a physical league) but at the end of the day, it’s football. If we keep doing what we’re doing then it will be a good season again. We need to keep working hard and good things will come for us.”