Pukki pleased to have rekindled Stiepermann connection
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Teemu Pukki is pleased to have a productive Marco Stiepermann behind him after the pair combined to open the scoring in Norwich City’s win over Bristol City.
The German midfielder has struggled for fitness, form and confidence recently, but displayed his quality by playing a pivotal role in the Canaries 3-1 win at Ashton Gate.
Stiepermann’s defence splitting pass found Pukki before the Finnish international smashed the ball into the net to opening the scoring.
City fans could have been forgiven for thinking they’d travelled back in time as the duo combined, but Pukki is hoping this performance will help the Stiepermann recapture the form that saw him thrive two years ago.
“It’s nice. I enjoy playing with Stiepi,” Pukki said. “When we went up it was a good partnership between me and him.
You may also want to watch:
“It hasn’t been easy for him lately but to get this game and this assist, it’s important for him to get his confidence back and he will be an important player for us.
“I hope we can build up like we did today. It looked good today and I enjoy playing with Marco.
- 1 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 2 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 5 'As good as I've seen him!' - City fans laud Cantwell performance
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 7 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 8 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 9 'We need to pull our weight' - City skipper relieved to end his goal drought
- 10 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
“We have a lot of good players and options as well; I enjoy playing with these guys and if we keep it going then there will be a lot of goals this season.”
Pukki is easing himself back into the Championship after a productive but testing season in the top-flight. The Finn was the Canaries talisman two seasons ago and is hoping his two goals at Ashton Gate will give him the confidence to push on.
“It feels good. I’m buzzing now after this game. It hasn’t been the best start for me either so it’s important for me to get this game under my belt. I’m happy with how things are but we need to be focused in every game to ensure we’re doing everything to get the goals.
“It is (a physical league) but at the end of the day, it’s football. If we keep doing what we’re doing then it will be a good season again. We need to keep working hard and good things will come for us.”