‘Not enough words to describe how ridiculous Emi is’ – City fans rave about Buendia after Hull brace
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Emi Buendia is being hailed by Norwich City supporters after an eventful and successful evening at Carrow Road, seeing their side beat Hull 3-2 to reclaim top spot in the Championship.
Leeds and Sheffield United had both piled the pressure on the Canaries when they both won on Tuesday evening but beating the Tigers moved City two points ahead of Leeds again at the top and four clear of third-placed United.
The evening started on a high when the long-awaited new contract for head coach Daniel Farke was confirmed minutes before kick-off, to crank up the volume in Carrow Road.
Goals from Marco Stiepermann and Emi Buendia kept things bubbling but with a succession of chances wasted a Tim Krul error allowed Marc Pugh to pull one back for the visitors just before the break.
Buendia then completed a slick goal that he was at the heart of on the hour, but still nerves persisted, particularly once Canaries academy product headed in another for Hull to make it 3-2 in the 85th minute.
City held out though and reclaimed top spot, but it should have been far smoother, with 17 shots and seven on target, compared to six for the visitors, who scored from both their efforts on target – with Buendia taking his personal tally to seven goals for the season.
You may also want to watch:
Farke’s team are back in action at lowly Rotherham on Saturday – who boosted their survival hopes with a 2-1 win at QPR tonight – shortly after their automatic promotion rivals Leeds and Sheffield United meet at Elland Road in a 12.30pm kick-off.
• Catch up with all the best of the reaction above and below
• You can follow all the reaction and analysis from Carrow Road with our reporters in our Matchday Live blog at pinkun.com/live
• Make sure to download the Pink Un app for exclusive insight and analysis from our Canaries correspondents, available for free in your mobile device’s app store
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries beaten by Barnsley in FA Cup
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 3 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 6 STARTING XIs: Hernandez starts as City make five changes for FA Cup tie
- 7 Energetic Barnsley dump disjointed Norwich side out of the FA Cup
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 9 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 10 Young Canaries suffer last-gasp defeat in first game of 2021