Norwich City ace Louis Thompson ruled out for months after fresh Achilles injury heartache
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Louis Thompson is set to be ruled out for at least six months after suffering a re-occurrence of his Achilles injury.
The 22-year-old midfielder has undergone successful surgery during recent days, but must now begin the long rehabilitation process for the second time in 2017.
Thompson’s latest cruel injury setback is not believed to be career-threatening, after the former Swindon youngster had appeared on course to return from his previous Achilles operation by the early weeks of the new campaign.
Sporting director Stuart Webber conceded it is a devastating blow for a player who only signed a longer term deal last season following some impressive cameos.
“Everyone at Norwich City is bitterly disappointed for Louis following this news,” he said. “The club expect Louis will be unavailable for a substantial period of this season, however, we will be working with him to ensure he is able to return to fitness at the earliest opportunity.”
You may also want to watch:
Thompson might have been expected to press his claims for a leading role under head coach Daniel Farke, after grabbing his big chance in the senior ranks.
The Welsh Under-21 international starred in league and cup battles against Leeds United last season before rupturing his Achilles in training in January 2017.
- 1 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 2 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 3 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 4 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 5 City midfielder returns to Norfolk after loan spell terminated
- 6 Placheta must kick on at City
- 7 Norwich City transfer rumours: Bushiri close to Eupen loan
- 8 Giannoulis deal proof City can navigate difficult transfer market
- 9 City Q&A: Striker light - Your questions answered
- 10 Chris Goreham: The importance of Hugill and home schooling
Farke will now have to plot City’s Championship promotion push without Thompson for a minimum of six months, although the German did add the likes of Mario Vrancic and Harrison Reed to his squad this summer.
Vrancic impressed in the Canaries’ opening 5-0 friendly win against Cobh Ramblers in southern Ireland, just hours after Reed had completed a season-long loan move.
Graham Dorrans sealed his switch to Rangers yesterday but with Jonny Howson touted for a Carrow Road exit and Thompson now sidelined, Alex Tettey is likely to be a key figure in that combative central midfield role.
Thompson has a Carrow Road contract until at least 2019, with a potential one-year option, but is yet to establish himself at senior level since his move from the Robins. The 22-year-old has been limited to just six first team appearances for the Canaries, and spent numerous loan spells back in the West Country prior to his breakthrough under Alex Neil.