Jonny Howson completes move from Norwich City to Middlesbrough
- Credit: Archant
Jonny Howson has completed his summer move to Norwich City’s Championship rivals Middlesbrough for an undisclosed fee.
Boro tweeted on Friday morning Howson has left City’s Irish training camp to undergo a medical and finalise personal terms.
The 29-year-old midfielder was not part of Daniel Farke’s squad for Wednesday’s opening pre-season friendly against Cobh Ramblers along with Graham Dorrans, who joined Rangers on Thursday.
Middlesbrough were the only club to show firm interest in the ex-Leeds captain, who was touted with an emotional Elland Road return and Sunderland.
Howson, who had two years left on his current Norwich deal, declined talks over a potential contract extension at Carrow Road in a bid to return north with his young family this summer.
Sporting Director Stuart Webber told the club’s official website: “Jonny, via his agent, made it very clear during my first week in the job he didn’t want to be here and wanted to move back to the north.
“We spoke about a new contract but he was insistent. Jonny is a good guy who was great for this club but sometimes you have to accept it becomes about getting the best deal for the football club.”
You may also want to watch:
City’s top brass have also made it clear they must raise funds and lower the wage bill as they look to still try and equip Farke’s squad for a Championship promotion push.
Harrison Reed was the fifth arrival in midweek on a season-long loan from Premier League Southampton.
- 1 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 2 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 3 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 4 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 5 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 6 Chris Goreham: The school field trip that Zimmermann could do without
- 7 Norwich City Debate Recap: Academy prospects to fill in, loan break clauses and Drmic all discussed
- 8 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
- 9 'I want to create history' - Farke reveals mission to build a legacy at Norwich City
- 10 Canaries drawn to face Coventry City at Carrow Road in FA Cup third round