Jonny Howson completes move from Norwich City to Middlesbrough
- Credit: Archant
Jonny Howson has completed his summer move to Norwich City’s Championship rivals Middlesbrough for an undisclosed fee.
Boro tweeted on Friday morning Howson has left City’s Irish training camp to undergo a medical and finalise personal terms.
The 29-year-old midfielder was not part of Daniel Farke’s squad for Wednesday’s opening pre-season friendly against Cobh Ramblers along with Graham Dorrans, who joined Rangers on Thursday.
Middlesbrough were the only club to show firm interest in the ex-Leeds captain, who was touted with an emotional Elland Road return and Sunderland.
Howson, who had two years left on his current Norwich deal, declined talks over a potential contract extension at Carrow Road in a bid to return north with his young family this summer.
Sporting Director Stuart Webber told the club’s official website: “Jonny, via his agent, made it very clear during my first week in the job he didn’t want to be here and wanted to move back to the north.
“We spoke about a new contract but he was insistent. Jonny is a good guy who was great for this club but sometimes you have to accept it becomes about getting the best deal for the football club.”
You may also want to watch:
City’s top brass have also made it clear they must raise funds and lower the wage bill as they look to still try and equip Farke’s squad for a Championship promotion push.
Harrison Reed was the fifth arrival in midweek on a season-long loan from Premier League Southampton.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 4 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 5 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 6 February fixture changes for Canaries
- 7 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 8 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 9 Morris hopes to have found a 'home' after leaving Norwich City for Barnsley
- 10 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit