Norwich City announce Jonny Howson’s spectacular volley against Nottingham Forest as goal of the season for 2016-17 season
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Jonny Howson’s wonder-strike against Nottingham Forest has won Norwich City’s goal of the season competition.
The midfielder’s sumptuous volley during the 5-1 thrashing of Nottingham Forest at Carrow Road in February held off competition from eight other nominations.
Jacob Murphy’s 20-yard strike in the opening-day 4-1 win at Blackburn and a bending effort from the edge of the box from his brother, Josh, in a 2-0 win at Everton in the EFL Cup third round both made the shortlist.
Josh also scored a similar effort, cutting in from the left wing, in a 3-0 win over Celtic for City’s U23s in the Premier League International Cup group stages in November, which was also nominated.
Wes Hoolahan’s skilful effort which tied the Rotherham defence in knots in a 3-1 home victory in October and Nelson Oliveira’s curling low effort in a 1-0 Carrow Road victory in December were in the running.
You may also want to watch:
Cameron Jerome’s deft touch to set up his early strike in a 2-0 home triumph over Birmingham in January, Yanic Wildschut’s first goal for the club in a 1-1 draw at Bristol City in March and Alex Pritchard’s excellent strike from 20 yards during the 7-1 thrashing of Reading in April were all also up fro the award.
It was Howson’s amazing goal which won the majority of the public vote though, adding to our poll which voted the Yorkshireman’s screamer Carrow Road’s best ever goal.
To watch all of the goals nominated for the award, sponsored by Aviva, click here.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Reported target set to snub Canaries
- 2 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 3 Canaries' ace Billy Gilmour belts out karaoke classic in city
- 4 Exiled City duo feature in stunning U23 friendly comeback
- 5 'A lot of potential there' - City defender on trial at Coventry
- 6 City confirm midfielder exit
- 7 'He is going to be a top, top player'- City star on Gilmour
- 8 Fans set for Carrow Road return in Gillingham friendly
- 9 Fans could need both jabs to attend Premier League matches under new plans
- 10 City duo self-isolating after positive Covid tests