Norwich City appeal Doherty's red card
Norwich City have appealed against the dismissal of Gary Doherty in Saturday's match with Bristol City at Carrow Road. Doherty was sent off in the 44th minute for a challenge on Robins' striker Dele Adebola by referee Andy D'Urso.
Norwich City have appealed against the dismissal of Gary Doherty in Saturday's match with Bristol City at Carrow Road.
Doherty was sent off in the 44th minute for a challenge on Robins' striker Dele Adebola by referee Andy D'Urso. The Essex-based official also awarded the visitors a penalty, which right-back Bradley Orr converted to take all three points for Gary Johnson's side.
Although the infringement would normally result in a one-match ban, the Irish international faces a two-match suspension due to his previous dismissal at Nottingham Forest earlier in the season.
Speaking to the club's official website, City manager Bryan Gunn said: "We've looked at it over the weekend on replays, ITV's The Championship and our footage. We certainly see Gary Doherty playing the ball before anything else and we are appealing on that basis."
You may also want to watch:
An appeal has been lodged with the Football Association and will be heard tomorrow at Soho Square. No-one from the club nor the referee are entitled to attend the hearing, which will be held behind closed doors. A commission of three members will review the DVD evidence before reaching a decision. The commission has the power to overturn Gary Doherty's two-match ban if it agrees that the referee made an error in sending Doherty off and awarding the penalty.
- 1 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
- 2 City keeper issues injury update
- 3 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
- 4 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 5 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 6 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 7 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 Young City winger completes permanent Harrogate Town move
- 10 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut