Norwich City chief Daniel Farke enjoys his first date with Carrow Road
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Farke already feels right at home at Carrow Road as he urged Norwich City fans to back his boys for the Championship kick-off.
Farke’s new-look squad hit back to draw 1-1 against Premier League Brighton in their final dress rehearsal ahead of this week’s opening league trip to Fulham.
The German insists there is plenty of hard work ahead but hopes City’s fan base can already detect signs of promise.
“I really enjoyed it. You got a taste for how it will be in the really important league and cup games to come. There is a big optimism in the stadium and to see so many fans here for a friendly,” he said. “That is important for the players, even in the beginning when we made some mistakes they were still supporting us. There has been a big change this summer with many young players in the team. There will be some mistakes and some difficult times but I feel the mood is positive and they understand what we try to do.”
Farke is refusing to let a lengthy injury list dampen the optimism, with Alex Pritchard and Timm Klose definitely ruled out for Craven Cottage.
“That is bad because they are key players in their positions. In addition to that we have Ivo (Pinto) and Wes (Hoolahan) missing for nearly the whole of pre-season and then some little injuries,” he said. “It is quite normal to be without one or two but the big injuries have been the problem. I said to the guys before this game we had 14 fit outfield players, and within that Steven Naismith is suspended for Fulham, so I want us to deal with it with a great togetherness. All the guys will be needed this season so I want us to stand together in really difficult situations, so we are able to find 11 to wear a yellow, or a purple shirt, to fight and deal with whatever setbacks.”
You may also want to watch:
Josh Murphy and Hoolahan should be back in contention for Fulham after missing the Seagulls’ finale but Pinto is set to miss out.
“Josh has played a lot during pre-season. After Charlton, when he played 90 minutes, there was some strain with the muscle. I don’t think it is too bad,” said Farke. “He should return after the weekend. I think it is not a problem for Fulham. Wes trained the whole week with us. He won’t be 100pc for Fulham but he is an option. I don’t think Ivo will be in a condition to join us for Fulham. Perhaps the bench.”
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Coventry City - Krul out three weeks; Pukki out this weekend
- 2 Farke's take on Krul and Pukki body blows
- 3 STARTING XIs: Three changes and very young bench for injury-hit City against Coventry
- 4 Matchday Recap: City top and unbeaten in 10 after draw with Coventry
- 5 Late heartbreak for injury-plagued City as Biamou's late strike rescues a point for Coventry
- 6 Paddy's Pointers: Canaries 1-1 Coventry City
- 7 Aarons suffers shin injury
- 8 'Frustrating' - City fans dejected after injury crisis worsens during Coventry draw
- 9 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 10 Paddy Davitt: City player ratings against Sky Blues