Norwich City confirm Marcel Franke signing
- Credit: Matthew Usher/JASONPIX
German centre-back Marcel Franke has joined Norwich City for an undisclosed fee.
The Canaries confirmed on Friday afternoon the 24-year-old powerhouse has become Daniel Farke’s seventh signing of a busy summer after agreeing a three-year-deal, with a further one year option, to join City’s Championship crusade.
“It’s a big club in England with a great stadium and amazing supporters,” he said. “It was an easy step for me. I had good conversations with the coach and he convinced me Norwich was the right club. I want to play football with the team so I’m looking forward to this.
“England is always an option, always a dream, for a German player and especially for a defender. I know they have played four of the last six years in the Premier League, so they are known in Germany.
“As a defender, you like to defend hard and tackle but I’m a defender who wants to play football. I want to make many passes and have the ball on the ground. It suits the head coach’s style of playing football and I hope we can be successful this season.”
You may also want to watch:
Franke will be part of the squad heading out to a training camp in his homeland next week.
“Going back to Germany in a few days will be good for me as a German player,” he told the club’s official site. “It’s important to integrate into the team really fast. I’m looking forward to the first training sessions and the first games.
- 1 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 2 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 3 MATCHDAY LIVE: Can Norwich City complete the double over Cardiff?
- 4 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 5 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 6 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 7 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 8 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 9 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 10 'Three Lungs' back in business
“I want to stand on the pitch and play as much as I can. I want to stay healthy, learn the language and help the team to reach our goals.
“I’ve heard the stadium is always full, which every football player wants. I’m looking forward to being on the pitch in front of the supporters.”
Franke made 31 appearances for Bundesliga Two club Greuther Fürth last season, who finished eighth in the German second tier, and is the latest recruit from Germany following the arrival of ex-Borussia Dortmund II defender Christoph Zimmermann.
“We were searching for some improvements in defence so I’m happy,” head coach Farke told the club’s official site. “He’s a really solid defender but also solid at building up our game. Marcel is a young guy at just 24 so has lots of potential but is also pretty experienced.
“I’m really glad to bring in a centre-back with this quality. He’s the perfect fit for our squad.”
Bosnian international Mario Vrancic made a similar move from German club Darmstadt while the likes of Marley Watkins, James Husband and Premier League loan duo Angus Gunn and Harrison Reed have also made a Carrow Road switch this close season.