Norwich City confirm Marcel Franke signing
- Credit: Matthew Usher/JASONPIX
German centre-back Marcel Franke has joined Norwich City for an undisclosed fee.
The Canaries confirmed on Friday afternoon the 24-year-old powerhouse has become Daniel Farke’s seventh signing of a busy summer after agreeing a three-year-deal, with a further one year option, to join City’s Championship crusade.
“It’s a big club in England with a great stadium and amazing supporters,” he said. “It was an easy step for me. I had good conversations with the coach and he convinced me Norwich was the right club. I want to play football with the team so I’m looking forward to this.
“England is always an option, always a dream, for a German player and especially for a defender. I know they have played four of the last six years in the Premier League, so they are known in Germany.
“As a defender, you like to defend hard and tackle but I’m a defender who wants to play football. I want to make many passes and have the ball on the ground. It suits the head coach’s style of playing football and I hope we can be successful this season.”
You may also want to watch:
Franke will be part of the squad heading out to a training camp in his homeland next week.
“Going back to Germany in a few days will be good for me as a German player,” he told the club’s official site. “It’s important to integrate into the team really fast. I’m looking forward to the first training sessions and the first games.
- 1 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 2 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 3 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage
- 4 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 5 'I want to create history' - Farke reveals mission to build a legacy at Norwich City
- 6 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 7 Chris Goreham: The school field trip that Zimmermann could do without
- 8 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 9 Canaries drawn to face Coventry City at Carrow Road in FA Cup third round
- 10 Norwich City Debate Recap: Academy prospects to fill in, loan break clauses and Drmic all discussed
“I want to stand on the pitch and play as much as I can. I want to stay healthy, learn the language and help the team to reach our goals.
“I’ve heard the stadium is always full, which every football player wants. I’m looking forward to being on the pitch in front of the supporters.”
Franke made 31 appearances for Bundesliga Two club Greuther Fürth last season, who finished eighth in the German second tier, and is the latest recruit from Germany following the arrival of ex-Borussia Dortmund II defender Christoph Zimmermann.
“We were searching for some improvements in defence so I’m happy,” head coach Farke told the club’s official site. “He’s a really solid defender but also solid at building up our game. Marcel is a young guy at just 24 so has lots of potential but is also pretty experienced.
“I’m really glad to bring in a centre-back with this quality. He’s the perfect fit for our squad.”
Bosnian international Mario Vrancic made a similar move from German club Darmstadt while the likes of Marley Watkins, James Husband and Premier League loan duo Angus Gunn and Harrison Reed have also made a Carrow Road switch this close season.