Vital week of coronavirus testing for Norwich City
- Credit: PA
Norwich City’s coronavirus testing takes on even more significance this week as the return to Premier League action moves ever closer.
Players at all Premier League clubs are being tested twice a week before the restart on June 17 – this week’s first tests were on Tuesday with another set on Friday.
Any player returning a positive test will have to stay away from the rest of the team for 14 days – and with City expected to return on the weekend of June 20-21, it could rule the player out of the opening round of restarted games.
Clubs have only a short period of training ahead of the restart and match fitness is bound to be an issue: players who have missed 14 days if they test positive from Tuesday would be even less ready to start, but any positive tests from Friday would make them almost certain to miss the restart.
The first games, on June 17, feature Manchester City v Arsenal and Aston Villa v Sheffield United - any player from those clubs that tests positive from Tuesday would almost certainly be forced to sit out their return.
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday, the Premier League revealed there were no positive tests after the fourth round of testing conducted on Thursday and Friday last week – the first to take place since clubs returned to contact training.
A dozen people – players or staff – tested positive from over 2,700 tests in the first three rounds. For the fourth round, the number of tests available to each club increased from 50 to 60 – 1,130 people were tested in total.
- 1 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 3 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 4 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 6 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
- 7 Pressure on Hornets for title-hunting City
- 8 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 9 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts