Norwich City duo Joe Crowe and Jamal Lewis handed maiden Northern Ireland U21 call-ups
- Credit: Matthew Usher/Focus Images Ltd
Two of Norwich City’s under-23 squad have been handed their maiden Northern Ireland Under-21 call-ups.
Jamal Lewis, who has played at left-back and on the left wing for City, and Joe Crowe, a tough tackler capable of playing in central defence or midfield, have both been called up by new U21s boss Ian Baraclough.
The Canaries pair are both included in a 24-man training squad, which will be trimmed to 20 for their country’s opening 2019 European U21 Championship qualifier in Estonia on Thursday, June 8 (7.45pm UK time).
Both have represented Northern Ireland at U19 level previously, with Crowe making 26 appearances for City’s U23s this season and Lewis playing 20 times.
Speaking to IrishFA.com, former Scunthorpe United boss Baraclough said: “For me it is giving people a taste of it but it gives everyone a shake up whoever you are and performing well you can be taken to the next level.
You may also want to watch:
“Wherever they have come from they have a chance, they all are one step away from the senior group. For me I have to impress that on them as Michael O’Neill is looking for fresh talent.”
Lewis and Crowe are both 19 years old and contracted to Norwich until the end of the 2017-18 season, with the club retaining the option of a further year.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Leeds also interested in Gunn
- 2 City ace left out of Euro 2020 opener
- 3 ‘Definitely was not easy’ - City striker on distressing win
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace
- 5 A-Z: Time for a clear-out at Burnley?
- 6 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 7 David Freezer: Perfect transfer strategy key to City's self-funded survival model
- 8 Norwich City fans get kit help as Pukkimania sparks dash for Euros shirt
- 9 Left-back seals permanent Canaries exit
- 10 'Pukki will be treated like Messi or Ronaldo''