Poll results: Canaries fans split on betting sponsorship
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Supporters are divided on the moral implications of Norwich City accepting money from betting firms, after a new ‘record breaking’ shirt sponsorship was announced.
The Canaries have signed a three-year deal with Asian gambling firm Dafabet, who have become principal club partner of the Premier League new boys.
This means the company's logo will feature on the front of all three of City's kits for the new season, the first of which is to be unveiled on Saturday - with Dafabet agreeing to adapt their logo with the appropriate colours so that it works aesthetically with the yellow home shirt.
Junior shirts will continue to be sponsored by Riverside trampoline park Gravity but all adult shirts will feature the betting firm's logo, while Dafabet's branding will also feature around Carrow Road, particularly in the South Stand.
The close relationships that the gambling industry has formed with football clubs and governing bodies, as with many other sports, has been a hot topic in recent years due to the addictive nature of gambling and the push for the industry to take its responsibilities more seriously.
Yet of more than 3,500 voters who took part in our online poll following the announcement, 39 percent said they did not approve of City shirts being sponsored by a betting firm and 39pc said they were happy with the situation, with the remaining 22pc somewhere in between.
You may also want to watch:
It's understood the deal with Dafabet is worth more than double the Canaries' previous record sponsorship deal, replacing another firm as the principal club partner, LeoVegas.
Chief operating officer Beb Kensell has explained that betting firms are the only sponsors willing to spend such big sums however, with a self-funding club like City needing to generate as much commercial revenue as possible to support the football side of the business financially.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 3 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 5 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 6 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 7 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 8 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 9 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 10 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- Results correct at the time of writing, with over 3,500 voters taking part. The poll is still active and can be viewed above