Colney improvements to continue as Canaries search for Carrow Road expansion ‘sweet spot’
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Continuing the redevelopment of training facilities at Colney remains the priority but Norwich City are trying to find the ‘sweet spot’ which would allow Carrow Road expansion to become a reality.
It was revealed at the Canaries' annual general meeting on Thursday that land on Carrow Road behind the City Stand and Barclay Stand have been purchased, allowing club bosses to begin exploring long-term plans for stadium expansion.
Business and project director Zoe Ward played a key role in the £5million Canaries Bond which helped to fund the revamp of the Lotus Training Centre and says there is plenty of work still needed to continue the modernisation at Colney, to meet Premier League standards.
"The next phases we're kind of looking at tidying up generally around the rest of the site," she explained. "So we're looking at moving all of our grounds facilities to the back of the site, which is currently at the front and they've very much outgrown.
"There are still some Portakabins there so we will look to have more purpose-built buildings to accommodate the reception area, administration, media suite, press conference rooms, things like that."
The potential expansion of Carrow Road has been discussed at almost every AGM in recent years, with Premier League stability likely to be key to the financial aspects.
"We think we have a duty to at least explore what is the art of the possible," Ward continued. "We're not saying we're definitely going to build a new stand but we can look at the feasibility, what we can do to make it work and then take it from there.
You may also want to watch:
"There's no point building a new stand to add on 2,000 extra seats, you're never going to be able to make that pay back.
"So we've got to get to the point where there's a balance where we can improve it enough and add as many seats that it will actually generate revenue for us and will have a good payback, but also that those seats are going to be filled. So basically we've got to work out where that sweet spot is and what it could look like."
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 3 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 5 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 6 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 Watch extended highlights of the Canaries' 2-0 win over Bristol City
- 10 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-0 Championship cruise against Bristol City
- You can watch our full interview with Ward in the video above