Placheta impresses on international debut for Poland
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Przemek Placheta made his senior debut for Poland in their friendly against Ukraine on Tuesday evening.
Norwich City’s rapid winger started the game as Jerzy Brzeczek’s side beat Andriy Shevchenko’s side 2-0 in Chorzow.
Placheta had a lively start to the game and was deployed on the right wing. He went close with a curling effort in the first-half but young goalkeeper Andriy Lunin was equal to his shot.
Lumin’s error allowed Krzysztof Piatek to capitalise and score from range. The Real Madrid keeper came racing out of his goal and failed to clear, allowing the striker to convert into an empty net.
The 22-year-old played a significant part in the second goal of the evening, crossing for substitute Jakub Moder to head onto the post seconds after he came on. The rebound fell for the striker to convert at the second attempt.
You may also want to watch:
Placheta was eventually replaced in the 84th minute and will now return to the U21 set-up ahead of their Uefa Euro U21 qualifier knowing that they need a win to seal their place as one of the best second-placed sides to qualify for the competition.
Tim Krul was named on the bench for the Netherlands for their friendly fixture against Spain.
- 1 City lodge complaint to EFL over match officials conduct during Luton Town defeat
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Luton Town 3 Canaries 1
- 3 Paddy Davitt: City player ratings against Luton Town
- 4 Norwich City able to access £8.33m loan after Premier League agree EFL bailout
- 5 Bullish Farke unhappy at defending and key calls in Luton defeat
- 6 'A perfect storm' - Fans have their say as injuries finally take their toll on Canaries
- 7 Luton 3-1 City: Tired Canaries come up well short
- 8 What do the new Brexit rules mean for Norwich City?
- 9 Iwan Roberts: I've never seen an injury crisis like Norwich City's before
- 10 Skipp calls for City to be smarter after Luton defeat
Frank De Boer opted to give AZ Alkmaar goalkeeper Marco Bizot an opportunity to impress after Jasper Cillesen pulled out of the squad through injury. Joel Drommel has been drafted into the squad as an understudy to Krul and Bizot.
Spain took the lead through Real Betis midfielder Sergio Canales but Manchester United’s Donny van der Beek equalised minutes after half-time to ensure the game finished 1-1.
Finland raced into an early two-goal lead against world champions France in Paris, but City striker Teemu Pukki was named amongst the substitutes for the fixture.
Brentford striker Marcus Forss gave the Finn’s the lead before midfielder Onni Valakari, who plays in the top-flight in Cyprus, doubled their advantage.
Danel Sinani replaced Dick Carlson at half-time during Luxembourg’s 3-0 defeat to Austria.
The City attacker was on the field as his side conceded three second-half goals in the Luxembourg City quarter of Belair.