Placheta impresses on international debut for Poland
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Przemek Placheta made his senior debut for Poland in their friendly against Ukraine on Tuesday evening.
Norwich City’s rapid winger started the game as Jerzy Brzeczek’s side beat Andriy Shevchenko’s side 2-0 in Chorzow.
Placheta had a lively start to the game and was deployed on the right wing. He went close with a curling effort in the first-half but young goalkeeper Andriy Lunin was equal to his shot.
Lumin’s error allowed Krzysztof Piatek to capitalise and score from range. The Real Madrid keeper came racing out of his goal and failed to clear, allowing the striker to convert into an empty net.
The 22-year-old played a significant part in the second goal of the evening, crossing for substitute Jakub Moder to head onto the post seconds after he came on. The rebound fell for the striker to convert at the second attempt.
You may also want to watch:
Placheta was eventually replaced in the 84th minute and will now return to the U21 set-up ahead of their Uefa Euro U21 qualifier knowing that they need a win to seal their place as one of the best second-placed sides to qualify for the competition.
Tim Krul was named on the bench for the Netherlands for their friendly fixture against Spain.
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 3 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 4 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 7 Hugill stepped up when Norwich City needed him with determined display at Cardiff
- 8 'We need to pull our weight' - City skipper relieved to end his goal drought
- 9 Watch extended highlights of Norwich City's win at Cardiff
- 10 'As good as I've seen him!' - City fans laud Cantwell performance
Frank De Boer opted to give AZ Alkmaar goalkeeper Marco Bizot an opportunity to impress after Jasper Cillesen pulled out of the squad through injury. Joel Drommel has been drafted into the squad as an understudy to Krul and Bizot.
Spain took the lead through Real Betis midfielder Sergio Canales but Manchester United’s Donny van der Beek equalised minutes after half-time to ensure the game finished 1-1.
Finland raced into an early two-goal lead against world champions France in Paris, but City striker Teemu Pukki was named amongst the substitutes for the fixture.
Brentford striker Marcus Forss gave the Finn’s the lead before midfielder Onni Valakari, who plays in the top-flight in Cyprus, doubled their advantage.
Danel Sinani replaced Dick Carlson at half-time during Luxembourg’s 3-0 defeat to Austria.
The City attacker was on the field as his side conceded three second-half goals in the Luxembourg City quarter of Belair.