Norwich City keeper Michael McGovern named in Northern Ireland squad for World Cup qualifier
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Michael McGovern has swelled Norwich City’s international contingent on World Cup qualifying duty, with the keeper named in the Northern Ireland squad for next month’s away trip to Azerbaijan.
McGovern and former City striker Kyle Lafferty are in Michael O’Neill’s plans for a friendly against New Zealand in Belfast on June 2 before travelling to Eastern Europe eight days later.
O’Neill’s men currently sit second in World Cup qualifying, group C, on the road to Russia 2018, after taking 10 points from their opening five matches.
Southend’s Adam Thompson and Accrington’s Shay McCartan are the notable inclusions. Thompson’s last appearance came in 2011, before O’Neill’s appointment as manager, while McCartan could make his debut amid a striker shortage brought by the absence of Conor Washington and Jamie Ward.
Washington is unavailable because he is getting married, while Ward is injured, but West Brom’s Gareth McAuley has been included despite concerns over a knee injury that meant he missed the Baggies’ final two Premier League games of the season. Burton defender Tom Flanagan is another potential debutant.
You may also want to watch:
O’Neill’s squad will spend four days in Turkey after the Belfast friendly before visiting Azerbaijan on June 10.
McGovern’s club mates Wes Hoolahan, Timm Klose, Steven Naismith and Russell Martin are also on international duty for their respective countries early next month.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 4 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 5 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 6 February fixture changes for Canaries
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 10 Morris hopes to have found a 'home' after leaving Norwich City for Barnsley