Canaries handed trip to Crawley in League Cup second round draw
- Credit: Richard Calver/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City will travel to Crawley Town in the second round of the League Cup.
The Canaries were drawn against the League Two side in this evening's draw, conducted by former England internationals Gary Neville and Paul Robinson.
That means a visit to a new ground for City, with Broadmoor Stadium in West Sussex, near Gatwick Airport, holding just over 6,000 spectators.
It will be just the second ever meeting of the clubs, after Norwich beat the Reds 3-1 at Carrow Road in the second round of the same competition in August 2014.
An early Cameron Jerome goal was added to by a brace from Josh Murphy as Neil Adams named a young side, with Irish defender Kyle McFadden and striker Jamar Loza starting alongside the Murphy twins.
The second round ties are due to be played in the week commencing August 26. For City that is between a home Premier League clash with Chelsea on Saturday, August 24 and a trip to West Ham on Saturday, August 31.
The Canaries' under-21s are due to travel to Crawley in the EFL Trophy group stages as well this season, on Tuesday, October 21.
You may also want to watch:
Young striker Mason Bloomfield is also on loan to Gabriele Cioffi's side from City for the season, although he didn't feature in tonight's 3-2 win away to League One side Walsall, after picking up an injury during Saturday's 2-0 home win over Salford in league action.
The two-time winners have reached the fourth round of the competition in both seasons of Daniel Farke's reign so far, losing 2-1 in extra-time in front of almost 9,000 travelling fans at Arsenal in 2017 and 2-1 at Bournemouth last year.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 4 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 5 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 6 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 7 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 8 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 9 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 10 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
The Canaries entered the draw along with the 12 other Premier League clubs who are not competing in European competitions this season, with the remaining seven to enter in the third round.
There was a chance that arch rivals Ipswich Town could feature in the southern section of the draw, however Paul Lambert's League One side were beaten 3-1 at Luton this evening.
Championship clubs Brentford, Bristol City, Charlton and West Brom were all eliminated from the southern half of the competition this evening, with Birmingham knocked out by Portsmouth last week.
While in the northern half, Barnsley, Huddersfield and Middlesbrough all went out to make it eight clubs from the second tier eliminated in the first round.
- CARABAO CUP SECOND ROUND DRAW
Plymouth v Reading
Crawley v NORWICH
Newport v West Ham
Oxford v Millwall
Watford v Coventry
Swansea v Cambridge
Cardiff v Luton
Bristol Rovers v Brighton
Crystal Palace v Colchester
Fulham v Southampton
Bournemouth v Forest Green
Southend v MK Dons
QPR v Portsmouth
Crewe v Aston Villa
Lincoln v Everton
Leeds v Stoke
Sheff Utd v Blackburn
Rotherham v Sheff Wed/Bury
Newcastle v Leicester
Burton v Morecambe
Burnley v Sunderland
Nottm Forest v Derby
Grimsby v Macclesfield
Preston v Hull
Rochdale v Carlisle