Norwich City loan watch: Mid-season award win for young defender in the USA
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City defender Caleb Richards has enjoyed success in the United Soccer League’s Championship Fans’ Choice Mid-Season Awards.
The 20-year-old is on loan at Tampa Bay Rowdies and has made 20 appearances for his loan club so far this season, who play in the second tier of US football.
He has played almost every minute of the campaign for the Eastern Coference leaders, who are managed by former Sheffield United and Wolves defender Neill Collins.
After winning the online pubic vote for Young Player of the Year, USLChampionship.com writer John Arlia said: "We've got a new Tampa Bay Rowdies player here instead of the still prolific Juan Tejada, but even though Caleb Richards clearly got some help from an enthusiastic Norwich City FC fanbase in winning the Fans' Choice Midseason Young Player of the Year award there's some real merit to his overall candidacy.
"He's 20 years old, has played every minute of the regular season for a top defense and has made more interceptions that his backline counterpart Pape Diakite with 18 this season. It's impressive to say the least."
You may also want to watch:
The former Blackpool defender signed a new contract with City 2021, with the option of a further year, when he left on loan and is due to return in October.
Although he has largely featured as a left-back for the Canaries' under-23s, he has mostly played on the left side of a three-man defence for the Rowdies so far.
- 1 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 3 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 4 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 5 'Three Lungs' back in business
- 6 Solskjaer education and goalkeeping genetics pave way for City target Nyland
- 7 Drmic's Euro mission to seal City exit
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 Norwich loan has 'ticked every box' for Ben Gibson
- 10 City hold talks with Nyland