Norwich City loan watch: Marshall helps Millwall draw at Sheffield United and Oliveira returns for Reading
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City players were in the thick of the relegation battle for their Championship loan clubs this weekend.
Ben Marshall had a great chance to help the Canaries in the automatic promotion race, after coming on in the 58th minute with Millwall losing 1-0 at Sheffield United, but struck the crossbar with a penalty in the 86th minute.
The winger redeemed himself however, when his cross was headed goalwards by Tom Elliott and initially saved, but turned in by defender Jake Cooper to salvage a 1-1 draw in the fourth minute of injury-time at Bramall Lane.
Nelson Oliveira returned to the starting line-up for Reading – after having to miss the 2-2 draw at Norwich in midweek – and played 89 minutes of a 2-1 home win over Brentford which boosted the Royals’ survival hopes, but couldn’t convert any of his chances.
Fleetwood’s play-off hopes were all but brought to an end in League One, as left-back James Husband played the full 90 minutes of a 4-2 defeat at promotion hopefuls Barnsley, with Norwich academy product Cameron McGeehan scoring his sixth goal of the season for the hosts.
You may also want to watch:
The game was overshadowed by an alleged assault of Barnsley boss Daniel Stendel by Fleetwood manager Joey Barton after the game though, with police investigating.
Yeovil are deep in relegation trouble in League Two, two points from safety after a 1-0 home loss to Crawley in which Tristan Abrahams played the full 90 minutes.
- 1 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 2 City midfielder returns to Norfolk after loan spell terminated
- 3 Bushiri completes Eupen loan
- 4 Placheta must kick on at City
- 5 Giannoulis in contention for Boro clash - as City secure work permit
- 6 Giannoulis deal proof City can navigate difficult transfer market
- 7 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 8 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 9 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 10 'That's my dream' - Giannoulis hopes his style will boost City's promotion hopes
Over in the USA, Caleb Richards played the full 90 minutes again as Tampa Bay Rowdies held two-time defending champions Louisville City to a 1-1 draw at home, continuing their unbeaten start to the United Soccer League Championship season
Not in action were: Yanic Wildschut (Bolton), Matt Jarvis (Walsall), Anthony Spyrou (Wrexham), Timi Odusina, Mason Bloomfield (AFC Fylde), Steven Naismith (Hearts), Simon Power (Dordrecht), Marcel Franke (Darmstadt)