Norwich City loan watch: Thorvaldsson makes his debut and Sochaux regret replacing Sitti
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
There was a professional debut, a costly substitution and a crucial victory in the mix for Norwich City’s loanees this weekend, despite a raft of postponements caused by Storm Dennis.
In League One, Portsmouth got back to winning ways with a 2-0 home win over Shrewsbury, with City defender Sean Raggett playing his part in a clean sheet which keeps Pompey sixth. The centre-back was also voted man of the match by Pompey fans online following the win.
Icelandic youngster Isak Thorvaldsson made his senior debut as a substitute for Fleetwood, coming on with six minutes remaining and helping Joey Barton's team hold on to their 2-1 home win over high-flying Peterborough.
Coventry moved above Posh into second place thanks to that result, winning 2-0 at struggling Southend, with City's January signing Sam McCallum playing the full 90 minutes at left wing-back.
Mason Bloomfield was an unused substitute as Crawley were held to a 0-0 home draw by lowly Carlisle in League Two, to sit 14th and nine points adrift of the play-off places.
You may also want to watch:
While in non-league, Canaries keeper Billy Johnson kept a clean sheet for Braintree Town in National League South, during a 0-0 home draw with Hemel Hempstead Town, to move a point clear of the bottom three.
There was plenty of action on the continent on Friday evening though, with Norwich left-back Philip Heise claiming an assist as Nuernberg drew 2-2 at high-flying Heidenheim in the German second tier, with the hosts scoring a late equaliser to keep Heise's team five points clear of the relegation places.
- 1 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 2 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 3 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 5 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City
- 6 'We are looking to win the next game' - Barnsley boss on Norwich FA Cup visit
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 Watch extended highlights of the Canaries' 2-0 win over Bristol City
- 10 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-0 Championship cruise against Bristol City
Melvin Sitti played the opening 68 minutes as Sochaux were beaten 3-2 at Valenciennes to remain in mid-table in the French second tier - with the game played on the defensive midfielder's 20th birthday.
However, the visitors were 2-0 up prior to the Canaries loanee being substituted, conceding three goals in quick succession.
Rocky Bushiri returned from a one-game ban following a red card but only played the final eight minutes, as Sint-Truiden lost 1-0 at home to bottom side Cercle Brugge in the Belgian top flight, with the hosts already trailing.
Charlie Gilmour played the full 90 minutes as Telstar drew 1-1 at high-flying Volendam in the Dutch second tier, to remain in mid-table.