POLL RESULTS: Midfield duo can bolster Norwich City’s promotion charge
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Moritz Leitner and Mario Vrancic are ready to add fresh legs and ideas to Norwich City’s midfield during Friday’s home clash with Sheffield Wednesday, according to Canaries fans.
The three-game suspension of Emi Buendia, for a reckless tackle during a 4-0 thrashing of QPR, forced a change to the league leaders’ settled team and youngster Todd Cantwell got his chance.
The academy product hasn’t quite found the form he managed during the first half of the season though, during a 2-2 home draw with Reading and Sunday’s 1-1 draw at Wigan, during which Leitner and Vrancic came on in the 76th minute and helped City salvage a point and push for a win in the north-west.
Cantwell of course cannot take the blame for that slight slow down in momentum, after hard fought draws against teams fighting against relegation, and City are still in an excellent position at the Championship summit.
They sit four points clear of Leeds and seven ahead of third placed Sheffield United. If the Blades lose at home to Nottingham Forest on Friday (12.30pm) then Norwich will know that victory over Wednesday (7.45pm) would seal promotion.
You may also want to watch:
With Buendia set to serve the final game of his suspension when the play-off chasing Owls arrive at Carrow Road, we asked City fans who they would like to see starting in midfield – ahead of two games in four days, with a trip to Stoke City to follow on Monday.
Sticking with Farke’s usual 4-2-3-1 formation and presuming that the rest of the team remains unchanged, the majority of supporters opted for Leitner and Vrancic to return, with Onel Hernandez, Marco Stiepermann and Tom Trybull keeping their places.
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 3 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 4 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 5 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 6 'That's the bottom line' - Dowell clear on his City priorities
- 7 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
- 8 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 9 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 10 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
Kenny McLean (45pc) and youngster Todd Cantwell (5pc) look to be the players to make way, based on over 1,500 supporters taking part.
Which five players would you put in City’s midfield against Wednesday?
• Hernandez – 93pc
• Stiepermann – 92pc
• Trybull – 90pc
• Vrancic – 87pc
• Leitner – 86pc
• McLean – 45pc
• Cantwell – 5pc
• Tettey – 4pc