POLL RESULTS: Midfield duo can bolster Norwich City’s promotion charge
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Moritz Leitner and Mario Vrancic are ready to add fresh legs and ideas to Norwich City’s midfield during Friday’s home clash with Sheffield Wednesday, according to Canaries fans.
The three-game suspension of Emi Buendia, for a reckless tackle during a 4-0 thrashing of QPR, forced a change to the league leaders’ settled team and youngster Todd Cantwell got his chance.
The academy product hasn’t quite found the form he managed during the first half of the season though, during a 2-2 home draw with Reading and Sunday’s 1-1 draw at Wigan, during which Leitner and Vrancic came on in the 76th minute and helped City salvage a point and push for a win in the north-west.
Cantwell of course cannot take the blame for that slight slow down in momentum, after hard fought draws against teams fighting against relegation, and City are still in an excellent position at the Championship summit.
They sit four points clear of Leeds and seven ahead of third placed Sheffield United. If the Blades lose at home to Nottingham Forest on Friday (12.30pm) then Norwich will know that victory over Wednesday (7.45pm) would seal promotion.
You may also want to watch:
With Buendia set to serve the final game of his suspension when the play-off chasing Owls arrive at Carrow Road, we asked City fans who they would like to see starting in midfield – ahead of two games in four days, with a trip to Stoke City to follow on Monday.
Sticking with Farke’s usual 4-2-3-1 formation and presuming that the rest of the team remains unchanged, the majority of supporters opted for Leitner and Vrancic to return, with Onel Hernandez, Marco Stiepermann and Tom Trybull keeping their places.
- 1 MATCHDAY LIVE: Norwich City complete their double over Cardiff
- 2 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 3 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 4 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 6 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 7 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 8 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 9 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 10 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
Kenny McLean (45pc) and youngster Todd Cantwell (5pc) look to be the players to make way, based on over 1,500 supporters taking part.
Which five players would you put in City’s midfield against Wednesday?
• Hernandez – 93pc
• Stiepermann – 92pc
• Trybull – 90pc
• Vrancic – 87pc
• Leitner – 86pc
• McLean – 45pc
• Cantwell – 5pc
• Tettey – 4pc