Norwich City midfielder Steven Naismith admits Graham Dorrans faces a Rangers dilemma
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Steven Naismith can understand how big a pull Rangers is for Norwich City team mate Graham Dorrans.
Dorrans returned to pre-season training with the Canaries on Monday, amid intense speculation linking him with a move to his boyhood club.
The Scottish Daily Express claimed earlier this week City’s top brass is mulling over a £1.3m offer, plus add-ons, for the 30-year-old.
Naismith won six trophies with the Glasgow club during a five-year spell but hopes his fellow Scot stays at Carrow Road to bolster Norwich’s Championship promotion push.
“He’s a big Rangers fan,” said Naismith. “For the last 18 months we’ve spoken a lot about Rangers, you catch the games in hotels and stuff like that. When you’re a Rangers fan there’s no better place when you’re winning trophies but it can be a hard place when things aren’t going well - so that is a driver to be successful.
“You need to make sure you are successful. All those things are right for him but he has a chance to help get Norwich back to the Premier League, and that’s the best league in the world - you count your days when you’re playing in it because your career will be over soon enough. It’s a big decision for him but first of all the clubs need to agree. It’s not as straight-forward as saying, ‘Rangers or Norwich’ because everything needs to be right for him and his family. It’s a tough one for him. He’d be a massive addition to a Rangers squad in transition and could be a main player if they get him. He has real quality so I hope he stays because he’d be a big loss for us.”
You may also want to watch:
Naismith, speaking to BBC Scotland, is also backing ex-team mate Kyle Lafferty to prove his worth if he completes a move to Rangers’ rivals Hearts. The Northern Ireland international has also been linked with Hibs since his close-season exit from Carrow Road.
“I think he would be a fantastic signing for either of them,” he said. “He will score goals no matter if he’s in a good vein of form or not. He’s one of the most entertaining guys you will ever see in a changing room and that’s fantastic, it makes such a difference.
- 1 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 3 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 4 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 5 'Three Lungs' back in business
- 6 Solskjaer education and goalkeeping genetics pave way for City target Nyland
- 7 Drmic's Euro mission to seal City exit
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 How to claim a free Norwich City sticker book
- 10 Iwan Roberts: My Welsh wish for City keeper
“If one of those clubs could pick him up it would be a fantastic move for them. He’s 30 and he has matured from his early days. He’d be a real asset for one of them.”
• Press play on the video above to see the sneak peak into City’s first day of pre-season, as released by @NorwichCityFC on Twitter