Referee who ruled out Jerome goal will be VAR for City’s home clash with Newcastle
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
He controversially ruled out a goal during the opening Carrow Road game of Norwich City’s last Premier League campaign – and Simon Hooper will be involved again on Saturday.
The Wiltshire official has been named the video assistant referee (VAR) for City's clash with Newcastle, assisting referee Stuart Attwell. Hooper disallowed a superb Cameron Jerome overhead kick as dangerous play in August 2015, which would have seen the Canaries draw level at 2-2, going on to lose 3-1 instead.
The decision drew widespread criticism and Hooper was dropped from the next set of Premier League fixtures. He has however refereed seven Norwich games since then, including two Carrow Road games last season: the 3-0 loss to Leeds and 2-1 win over Aston Villa.
The VAR checks for 'clear and obvious' errors involving goals, direct red card incidents, penalty decisions and mistaken identity.
Attwell has been on Europa League qualifying duty so far and was in charge of the Canaries' 3-1 win at Leeds last season.
- Norwich City v Newcastle officials
You may also want to watch:
Referee: Stuart Attwell
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Derek Eaton
- 1 City keeper issues injury update
- 2 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
- 3 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
- 4 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 5 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 6 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 7 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 8 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 9 Young City winger completes permanent Harrogate Town move
- 10 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
Fourth official: Tom Nield
VAR: Simon Hooper
Assistant VAR: Neil Davies