Referee who ruled out Jerome goal will be VAR for City’s home clash with Newcastle
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
He controversially ruled out a goal during the opening Carrow Road game of Norwich City’s last Premier League campaign – and Simon Hooper will be involved again on Saturday.
The Wiltshire official has been named the video assistant referee (VAR) for City's clash with Newcastle, assisting referee Stuart Attwell. Hooper disallowed a superb Cameron Jerome overhead kick as dangerous play in August 2015, which would have seen the Canaries draw level at 2-2, going on to lose 3-1 instead.
The decision drew widespread criticism and Hooper was dropped from the next set of Premier League fixtures. He has however refereed seven Norwich games since then, including two Carrow Road games last season: the 3-0 loss to Leeds and 2-1 win over Aston Villa.
The VAR checks for 'clear and obvious' errors involving goals, direct red card incidents, penalty decisions and mistaken identity.
Attwell has been on Europa League qualifying duty so far and was in charge of the Canaries' 3-1 win at Leeds last season.
- Norwich City v Newcastle officials
You may also want to watch:
Referee: Stuart Attwell
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Derek Eaton
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Dowell stunner puts City on cusp of promotion
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 3 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 4 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 5 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 6 'Our only concern' - Farke reveals City's promotion roadmap
- 7 Farke on Canaries records, Rooney and respecting the Rams
- 8 City boss too busy to worry about his contract at the moment
- 9 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
- 10 Dowell the difference at Derby as City close on promotion
Fourth official: Tom Nield
VAR: Simon Hooper
Assistant VAR: Neil Davies