Norwich City on tour: Marcel Franke in his words
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City new boy Marcel Franke is ready for everything the Championship will throw at him.
The towering centre back did his homework on the second tier before swapping Greuther Fürth for Daniel Farke’s revolution at Carrow Road.
“Yes, I know what to expect. I have a couple of friends who played in the Championship the last couple of years, at Brentford, and they said it is a hard league to play in,” said the 24-year-old, who has made a swift return to Germany this week for the Canaries’ pre-season tour. “To be playing 46 games, and more with the FA Cup and so on, I have to try this experience.
“Norwich is a big club in England. They have played in the Premier League for four seasons and I hope we can be successful and go for the first positions in the table. I am a player who gives always the best. 100pc in every training session and game and I will give my best on the pitch and help the team to reach their goals. I am looking forward to standing on the pitch in front of those amazing supporters.”
Franke revealed he was not aware of Farke’s work at Borussia Dortmund before moving to England.
You may also want to watch:
“No, I didn’t know him. The contact came three or four weeks ago. We had good initial discussions then I came to Norwich two weeks ago and we met up,” he said. “Of course it is a big step for me. A new country, a new language.
“The first time I play abroad and it is a new chapter and experience for myself and my girlfriend. The Premier League is the best in the world for me. You only have to see teams like Chelsea and Arsenal and it is a good league. Now I am playing in the Championship we will try to go the next step.”
- 1 City boss on Quintilla future amid Giannoulis pursuit
- 2 City squad can expect long term disruption due to Covid impact
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Cardiff City v Norwich City - Quintilla & Mumba test positive for Covid; Krul still out
- 4 'The Norwich fans are probably fuming' - Skipp on being Mr Popular
- 5 Farke's advice for Barden ahead of red letter day
- 6 MATCHDAY LIVE: Can Norwich City complete the double over Cardiff?
- 7 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
- 8 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 9 Cardiff City v Norwich City - all you need to know
- 10 'Three Lungs' back in business
Franke is likely to feature in Wednesday’s opening tour friendly against MSV Duisburg after making his debut at Cambridge United.
“The guys are very nice. I feel they have taken me into the group well,” he said. “There are good conditions here to work to prepare us for the first game of the season against Fulham. I spoke to the coach and he convinced me to come here.
“His style of football fits with mine. I like the English style. It is hard defending, you can tackle and the football suits me. With Daniel Farke as head coach we will try to play nice football.”