Norwich City play hard ball on a quiet transfer deadline finale
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City played hard ball to keep the likes of Nelson Oliveira and Alex Tettey at Carrow Road on a quiet deadline day to an epic summer transfer window.
Sporting director Stuart Webber oversaw a turnover of 41 players in total since the end of last season to equip Daniel Farke with a squad to compete at the right end of the Championship.
City did finally complete a deal for young forward Pierre Fonkeu, who had been on trial with the development set-up, but it was the status quo that held sway, with Oliveira reportedly the subject of a £12m enquiry from Premier League Swansea City and Tettey thwarted in his bid for a loan move.
Oliveira scored on Thursday night in Portugal’s 5-1 World Cup qualifying romp over the Faroe Islands, but the 26-year-old will return to Norfolk next week, despite being heavily touted with the likes of Reading and Wolves prior to the Swans’ late interest.
Cameron Jerome was another Norwich striker reportedly interesting Championship rivals Derby County, but the only departures were Michee Efete and Harry Toffolo on loan. Efete joined Torquay while Toffolo made the switch to League One Doncaster Rovers until the new year.
You may also want to watch:
Icelandic youngster Agust Hlynsson completed his expected move to Danish club Brondby, but fellow Scandinavian Tettey was denied a potential short term exit in a bid for regular first team football.
The 31-year-old has yet to start a league game this season, and was quoted on Norway’s state broadcaster’s website, NRK, confirming City would not sanction a loan.
- 1 Could City target any free agents this summer?
- 2 City star facing possible race for Euros fitness due to injury
- 3 Spurs confirm Skipp has had surgery after injury with Canaries
- 4 Former City defender lands senior role at Wolves
- 5 City ranked top Premier League club for fan engagement
- 6 Tettey's heartfelt thanks to City fans
- 7 'My mission is not over' - Klose opens door to permanent Basel stay
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Cardiff man once again linked
- 9 ‘It’s me, it’s Tettey’ - Canaries legend's best quotes
- 10 City transfer rumours: Manchester United defender in the frame
“Through my agent, I have been told that I’m not available for loans that are not for sale, and that I stay in Norwich,” he said.
“I’m used to playing matches, preferably 90 minutes. It has not been the case in the first period, so obviously I’m not happy with that.”
Tettey, who is under contract at Carrow Road until 2018, is represented by former Liverpool defender Bjørn Tore Kvarme.
“There has been interest from other clubs, but it helps little when the club is so clear that he is not available,” he said. “Now he strives to play back on the team.”
City were also linked with deadline day moves for Stuttgart defender Matthias Zimmermann and Le Havre’s Nathaël Julan.