Tough night for City skipper after nightmare early own goal during defeat at Liverpool
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Our first Norwich City player watch of the new Premier League season followed centre-back Grant Hanley on a difficult night for the Canaries captain during a 4-1 defeat at Liverpool.
1 - City's skipper gets a pass to Emi Buendia slightly wrong but gets it back to Tim Krul.
6 - Good foot in to disrupt Roberto Firmino's pass and Mo Salah can't control loose ball in the air, Krul claims.
7 - OWN GOAL - Origi toys with Max Aarons on the right, low cross and Hanley turns into his own net from six yards by mistake, swinging to clear but merely slicing into his own net. The Scot, understandably, looks distraught with his hands on his knees.
26 - Long ball holds up in the wind and Hanley gets his clearance all wrong, out for a throw with Salah chasing.
You may also want to watch:
28 - Sticks with Origi to force him backwards on the edge of the box, with decent pace.
31 - Stays close to Roberto Firmino as the Brazilian controls a cross but can't prevent the shot coming in, Krul makes a fine diving save.
- 1 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 2 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: City v Watford - Hanley, Pukki, Cantwell injury doubts
- 4 'I am really happy here' - City star Buendia not worried about speculation
- 5 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 6 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
- 7 Six things you might have missed after City's promotion party
- 8 'I rate him. He's a fantastic player' - Farke open to Skipp return
- 9 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 10 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
42 - Trent Alexander-Arnold swings in a cross from the right, Origi darts between Aarons and Hanley, nods in from close range easily, leaving Krul with no chance, to make it 4-0.
55 - Marshalling the defence as City try to stay more compact and hold their line, stands up Salah to prevent the shot from just inside the box and Jamal Lewis blocks Jordan Henderson's effort.
66 - Firmino breathing down his neck but stays calm and finds Krul under pressure.
68 - Does well to get across Salah and head out of the striker's path, then scrambles back with Ben Godfrey to clear the danger.
71 - Diving header clear of a Andrew Robertson cross from the left on the edge of the box.
75 - Sadio Mane gets in behind Aarons, Hanley can't stop the low cross but Godfrey reads well to clear.
80 - Dives in to try and beat Mane to the ball on the touchline but doesn't win the challenge and the forward charges into the box, but Aarons chases back to put the ball behind for a corner.
84 - Hanley gets in a muddle trying to step out and be commanding and ends up bringing down Fimino on the edge of the box. Alexander-Arnold beats the wall and Krul makes a fine save.
VERDICT: This was a huge night in Hanley's career, after such a disappointing previous campaign, but you would have a heart of stone to not feel sorry for the big man after his early error. The Scot looked absolutely crestfallen after his ill-fated swing at the ball gave the Reds the early advantage.
He tried to impose himself but it was a big ask for a man who barely played last season. Rallied and tried to lead but Liverpool knew the game was won in the second half.
RATING: 5 out of 10