Poll result: Buendia’s ban opens up City chance for Leitner
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Moritz Leitner is the man to fill the hole created by Emi Buendia’s three-game suspension, according to Norwich City supporters.
The Argentine attacker’s ban was confirmed by the Football Association after receiving the match officials’ report of City’s 4-0 thrashing of QPR at Carrow Road on Saturday.
Buendia lunged into a tackle on Rs midfielder Josh Scowen in the 71st minute, seemingly frustrated at a poor tackle on him not being punished with a card moments earlier.
The Canaries seem unlikely to appeal the suspension, with three-game bans given for ‘violent conduct or serious foul play’, but it leaves them without one of their star players as they aim to seal promotion to the Premier League.
The 22-year-old is set to miss tomorrow night’s home game against Reading, the trip to Wigan on Sunday and the visit of Sheffield Wednesday to Carrow Road on Good Friday.
Daniel Farke’s team are eight points clear of third placed Leeds with six matches remaining, after Teemu Pukki made it 4-0 against QPR with a late goal despite the leaders having 10 men.
You may also want to watch:
They will be without their £1.5million summer signing from Getafe though, with Buendia scoring his fourth goal in five games on Saturday and also setting up two – taking his overall tally for the season to eight goals and 17 assists from 38 games in all competitions.
That form has also earned the former Argentina U20 international a nomination for the Professional Football Association’s Fans’ Player of the Month award for the Championship in March, which is not put to an online vote.
But his ban means Farke’s run of naming the same starting XI for eight matches, bringing with it eight successive wins, will have to end against Reading, so we asked City fans who should come in.
- 1 Farke's personal message to City fans
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: City v Bournemouth - Emi fit, Rupp out for the season
- 3 'I wanted to bring Norwich back' - Emi reveals why he stayed at City
- 4 Farke braced for summer of speculation amid Frankfurt links
- 5 NORWICH CITY ARE PROMOTED TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE
- 6 'Bring it on', says Bournemouth boss
- 7 Banning orders and revenge mission wide of the mark for City chief
- 8 How Trent and Walker are shaping City star's progression
- 9 City’s big chance to prove there is ‘one team that stands out’
- 10 Frankfurt speculation just the start of uncertain period for City boss
Just short of 3,000 voters in our Pinkun.com poll voted for Leitner to come in (47pc), with Kenny McLean likely to be pushed forward in that scenario, although Mario Vrancic wasn’t far behind (37pc).
Academy product Todd Cantwell (16pc) is also firmly in contention, after coming on for the final 10 minutes of the victory over QPR.