Norwich City Res 0, Grays Athletic Res 1

A second-half penalty made it two defeats in a row as Norwich City Reserves lost 1-0 to Grays Athletic at Carrow Road, as reported on the club's official website.

A second-half penalty made it two defeats in a row as Norwich City Reserves lost 1-0 to Grays Athletic at Carrow Road, as reported on the club's official website.

City Reserves looked to get their good start to the season back on track as they hosted Grays Athletic at Carrow Road. But a penalty in the 63rd minute gave the visitors maximum points. With the first team away at Burnley, Ricky Martin's side consisted mainly of Academy players. Brellier was back in central midfield as he continued to get minutes under his belt.

City sat top of the league at the beginning of the game, but it was Grays Athletic who caused early problems. O'Connor hit the bar from close range followed by a Marshall free kick in the 10th minute which hit the post. The Canaries handled the pressure though, with Ross Kelly and Matthew Halliday winning almost every header in the centre of defence.

Jordan Yong had City's first attempt of the game. A curling left-footed effort was saved, followed by a long-range effort that cleared the bar in the 28th minute.

You may also want to watch:

The Canaries' best chance of the half fell to Luke Daley. The young striker connected with a ball from Yong and managed to battle off the centre-back. The Grays' keeper rushed out and blocked Daley's effort to safety. A deep cross from Eagle in injury time found Yong's head but his effort went wide.

City were the brighter side at the start of the second half, with the first chance falling to the Canaries. Jordan Yong broke down the left wing before squaring the ball for Cooper who cut in from the right, but the ball was just short and was cleared by the Grays' defence.

Most Read

City were punished for not making the best of their dominance in the 63rd minute. Miller was adjudged to have shoved Grays' forward Watson off the ball in the area. The referee awarded the penalty which Watson stood up to take, sending Arnold the wrong way and giving the visitors the lead.

Daley came close to bringing the game level in the 68th minute as he went through one-on-one for the second time of the night but yet again his effort was blocked to safety by Flintney. Bexfield's attempt two minutes later was saved again as the Grays' keeper kept his team in the lead with another impressive stop.

It didn't look like it was going to be Daley's night when a great effort in the 80th minute from the left of the Grays' goal was matched by another good save from Flintney.

City came alive late on, but desperate defending by the visitors in the last 10 minutes made sure that the Canaries wouldn't share the points.

t Norwich City Reserves: Arnold, Miller, O'Toole, Brellier (Lathrope 79), R.Kelly, Halliday, Cooper (Smith 52), Bexfield (Kelly 74), Daley, Yong, Eagle. Subs not used: McLean.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus