Norwich City's Grant Holt fails to turn up for trial
Norwich City striker Grant Holt was today found guilty of a motoring offence committed as he signed for the Canaries. But the footballer failed to appear at magistrates court because he risked missing out on the big kick-off for City.
Norwich City striker Grant Holt was today found guilty of a motoring offence committed as he signed for the Canaries.
But the footballer failed to appear at magistrates court because a timetable clash meant he risked missing out on the big kick-off for City, who begin their league campaign tonight.
Holt, 29, was due to appear at Market Drayton Magistrates Court for trial today for failing to give information about the identity of the driver of a car allegedly caught speeding near Whitchurch last year.
Holt, of Carlisle, had denied the charge and the case was heard in his absence.
You may also want to watch:
His legal team, who described him as “an honest young man”, argued that he had attempted to make contact with the authorities over the matter but had gone through the wrong channels - contacting the court and the DVLA instead of the central ticket office, which prosecuted him.
Magistrates heard that safer roads partnership officials observed a Peugeot 307, registered to Holt, travelling at 69mph in a 60mph zone on the A41 Whitchurch bypass just before 11am on April 27 last year.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 2 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 3 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 4 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 5 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
- 6 Bullish Robins' boss pledges to mix it with Canaries
- 7 Cherries lose more ground on Canaries in promotion race
- 8 'Our own Heracles at left-back' - City fans delighted as Giannoulis completes loan move
- 9 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 10 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
Phil Mason, prosecuting, said two notices were sent to Holt asking him to identify the driver, but he failed to respond within the time limit.
Ian Durant, for Holt, said his client was in the middle of signing for his new club when the offence was committed.
“The first game of the season was moved from tomorrow to today because of TV rights,” he said. “He has always admitted he was the driver of the car and was going at excess speed.”
Magistrates found the case proved but Holt was not sentenced because his legal team made an application for a special reasons hearing at Shrewsbury Magistrates' Court on Wednesday.